Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice Sought C-Mount N00b!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Advice Sought C-Mount N00b! Reply with quote

I'm considering buying my first C-mount lens. Are there any issues adapting them to Canon EOS bodies? I'll be using it on a 60D and mainly doing close focus (don't need infinity).

I see a cheap Chinese adapter on ebay, any preferences?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used that combination, as the useful image circle of c-mount lenses is usually limited to what they were once made for, 16mm film - only quite long focal length might project a much larger image but that can only be found out experimentally i.e. trying it out.

If you only like to do macro with these lenses, they should be reversed actually (except if they are symmetrical designs). Lefkowitz in his well known book describes that quite well, as it once was a cheap alternative to highly specialized and pricey macro lenses. You would need an adjustable helicoid in M42-M42 version, a M42 to Canon EOS adapter and to mount the lens, an adapter M42 to front filter mount of that specific c-mount lens which in most cases would need to be made. That would allow for higher magnifications.

Lefkowitz, Lester, "The Manual of Close-Up Photography", Amphoto N.Y., 1979, ISBN 0-8174-2130-0

Here is a guy (Pete Ganzel) who tried similar: http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/macromicro_add_ons

and here what famous Nikon shooter Bjørn Rørslett fabricated: http://www.naturfotograf.com/roll_your_own_lens.html

Have fun!!

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-mount lenses are a poor solution for an EOS, they will probably not cover the sensor fully, as Klaus says, the longer ones might but but might not.

There are some better options for Macro work on EOS imho, I got an excellent condition 55mm Micro-Nikkor for 28ukp recently, that lens will out-perform any c-mount lens for macro imho.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wants them only for macro and for that cmount lenses WILL work, if reversed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the image circle increase in size if reversed?

Enlarger lenses I find are great for macro, Schneider Componon-S 100mm is a personal fave, Schneider sell it for 1500 dollars with 'macro' printed on it, I got mine for less than 10ukp. I use it on a set of Russian M39 bellows with an EOS-M39 converter on the rear of the bellows, works great, bellows were 6ukp.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why had I proposed to read a book about optics?? Not to intimidate and certainly not to lecture, just so such questions would not be necessary...

Here's an interactive optics simulator, to try all that out...no math involved, just play with it
http://buphy.bu.edu/~duffy/java/Opticsa1.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks very much Klaus and Ian for the great information! I will definitely read the links. I love to experiment and will give it a go and report back.

You guys are the best!

BTW, I do have some high quality macro lenses but I also like something unusual and perhaps unique.
Razz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably we need to define macro a bit closer?
There are "definitions" that say macro is only till 1:1 - other like the German DIN standard go up to 10:1

With a reversed shorter C-mount lens (e.g. 16mm) I get magnified images.
With a reversed long C-mount lenses with for example 50mm focal length I get macro images that are not magnified - image of object is smaller than the object.

With too much extension tubes, like with a helicoid and the adapters, one probably get no more sharp image, because "focus" is inside the lens!

kds315* wrote:
...Here is a guy (Pete Ganzel) who tried similar: http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/macromicro_add_ons

and here what famous Nikon shooter Bjørn Rørslett fabricated: http://www.naturfotograf.com/roll_your_own_lens.html

Bjørn Rørslett shows on that site a relay lens system, which is much more complex. In my opinon not the best example for how to use C-Mount lenses for macro work.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Does the image circle increase in size if reversed?...

I think iangreenhalgh1´s question is not answerd with that optics simulator, because it would hard for beginners to understand and simulate a retrofocus lens?

I suppose a direct answer could help more than a distant book reccomendation:
At least lenses with shorter focal length than distance between last element and sensor, need a retrofocus design to allow infinity focus. This retrofocus design is unsymmetrical. The coverage angle on object side is bigger than those on image side. But when reversing such a lens, now the image side has a much bigger coverage angle!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou ZoneV, that makes sense.

Now I'm thinking, a Jupiter-12 reversed could make an interesting macro lens, being a non-retrofocus Biogon design.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Probably we need to define macro a bit closer?
There are "definitions" that say macro is only till 1:1 - other like the German DIN standard go up to 10:1

With a reversed shorter C-mount lens (e.g. 16mm) I get magnified images.
With a reversed long C-mount lenses with for example 50mm focal length I get macro images that are not magnified - image of object is smaller than the object.

With too much extension tubes, like with a helicoid and the adapters, one probably get no more sharp image, because "focus" is inside the lens!

This irrespectively of any macro definitions, be it 1:1 or 10:1, that works in all areas. If you don't get enlarged images, then you don't have enough extension between you rear lens and the sensor. And no, it does not get worse, since the further you get away with a reverse lens from teh sensor, the images get better, as it is the "normal" design of that lens it was once made for (just sensor and object exchanged).

ZoneV wrote:

kds315* wrote:
...Here is a guy (Pete Ganzel) who tried similar: http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/macromicro_add_ons

Bjørn Rørslett shows on that site a relay lens system, which is much more complex. In my opinion not the best example for how to use C-Mount lenses for macro work.

It is an example how to use c-mount lenses for macro, just in an advanced form; I thought that would be clear, but I guess I have overestimated the ability to understand that maybe Wink Wink

ZoneV wrote:

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Does the image circle increase in size if reversed?...

I think iangreenhalgh1´s question is not answerd with that optics simulator, because it would hard for beginners to understand and simulate a retrofocus lens?

I suppose a direct answer could help more than a distant book reccomendation:
At least lenses with shorter focal length than distance between last element and sensor, need a retrofocus design to allow infinity focus. This retrofocus design is unsymmetrical. The coverage angle on object side is bigger than those on image side. But when reversing such a lens, now the image side has a much bigger coverage angle!

OK, I see that more than one person woudl benefit from reading a book about optics Wink Sorry for having been so unprecise, since the original question had nothing to do with a lens being a retrofocus or "normal" design. At macro, the image diameter will ALWAYS be larger than at infinity. And with such a basic, simple optics simulator, it can be easily found out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, please try to be less condescending, you seem to get annoyed whenever people who don't have an extensive education in optics asks a question.

Quite clearly the OP only has a base level of knowledge, as do I and many others, we don't benefit from constantly being told to read expensive books.

If you find it so annoying to discourse on a base level, perhaps you should refrain from doing so?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll certainly take your advise, but just to explain, the unwillingness to learn it was upsets me, so I do excuse for the tone, which might have inappropriate. Btw. knowledge about optics does not involve reading expensive books, most can be had for free on the net.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
This irrespectively of any macro definitions, be it 1:1 or 10:1, that works in all areas. If you don't get enlarged images, then you don't have enough extension between you rear lens and the sensor. And no, it does not get worse, since the further you get away with a reverse lens from teh sensor, the images get better, as it is the "normal" design of that lens it was once made for (just sensor and object exchanged)...

The more extension behind the lens the closer the objects in front.
The free working distance shrinks to zero - and then no more imaging is possible.

kds315* wrote:
OK, I see that more than one person would benefit from reading a book about optics Wink Sorry for having been so unprecise, since the original question had nothing to do with a lens being a retrofocus or "normal" design. At macro, the image diameter will ALWAYS be larger than at infinity. And with such a basic, simple optics simulator, it can be easily found out.

Yes, learning would help everyone!
I read at the moment Modern Lens Design / Warren J. Smith:
http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?cat=113&isbn=0071438300&cat=113
But instead of giving the advice to buy that, I try to give knowledge from what I read. And I admit that I understand only <10% from the book.

For direct single cctv/cine lens to sensor imaging:

A Cine / CCTV lens with big "2/3 inch" image circle - which is only 11mm - works at ~2:1. But with not very good quality. It better works reversed. So the image circle get´s bigger - but not that fast that big.
That was the question about the macro definition. If one want to work at "magnifications" smaller 1:1 CCTV/Cine lenses are not ideal because of the small image diameter.
At high magnifications higher than eg. 4:1 these lenses are not bad, as long as the working distance is ok and not zero.