Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Oreston 50/1.8 arrived and it is clean ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Oreston 50/1.8 arrived and it is clean ... Reply with quote

... and in excellent shape. focus is smooooth; aperture ring moves nicely into each half stop. Glass looks possibly untouched. And, the Hanimex Praktica Super TL to which it was attached appears almost new. Even the case is slick as a new penny.
I am looking forward to some results but I am extremely with bathroom and kitchen renovation in the cabin ... Crying or Very sad
Yes, I will shoot some P&S digital shots of the kit and post them as soon as I can ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Both are excellent tool far better than today's price tag and especially nice to see them in shinny new stage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens focuses sugnificantly closer than my Super-Takumar 55/2, and boy is the view bright.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that your takumar wins in resolution power and in high contrast too? And it's better build. Sure you know.

Your meyer lens is very good too, nice color rendering, close focused and perhaps nice bokeh too (taste question)

Congratulations for your two normals lenses.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much, but I like being able to focus this closely without a tube, and the M-O may turn out to have some as-yet-undetermined character.
And hey, all for $20.50 ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I figured as much, but I like being able to focus this closely without a tube, and the M-O may turn out to have some as-yet-undetermined character.
And hey, all for $20.50 ... Very Happy

Mine has a unique character wide open. It creates a ghostly halo that creates an interesting effect in brightly lit conditions especially if the subject is flowers. I was kind of hoping it would have the same effect for portrait shots but no luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice normal you got! If you stumble across the Auto Revuenon 50/1.8 MC, get it while it's hot! It's the same as the Pentacon Auto MC 50/1.8 and also multicoated while if my memory serves me correct, this M-O is single-coated (at least it sure looks like a single coating layer). Among the tests I've run with all three of these lenses, I've found the Auto-Rev is the best (sharp!) of the lot, although sample variation does affect result accuracy a great deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have processed only three shots with the M-O (I finished the last three shots of a roll of Kodak Gold 200 in my SP1000 with the lens when it arrived), but these quickie handheld examples show promise - and buttery bokeh:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look really good,I have been humming and haring over this lens...I have my eye on one now Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been fond of the oreston 50mm. It was my first mf lens and took some great shots. Since then, I've gone through about 150 others, but some of the shots I still show people are from the oreston. A great purchase for anyone, whether they be new to photography or not.
~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mole. The buy was especially sweet because the lens came with a practically new Hanimex Praktica Super TL ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other bokeh shots ? Want to try this version of the lens (not the Pentacon, nor the revuenon)