Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need to help a friend with Helios 44M problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Need to help a friend with Helios 44M problem Reply with quote

I've been turning on some of my friends in the wedding videography community on to MF lenses and some of them have been coming to me with some issues regarding MF lenses. Most I can walk them through the problem but every now and then I get a head scratcher like this one. I'm hoping someone on here can help. Copied from his email.....

Quote:
I have a question about the Helios 44. I have a screw on to EOS adapter, but when I mount the lens to the camera it stops the focus ring from moving. I can loosen the lens from the adapter, but then as I adjust focus it tightens down again. Am I doing something wrong or did I get the wrong adapter? It also will not allow me to focus more than about 20 ft away (approx).

Any ideas on what might be going on? I've heard of aperture rings not turning but the focus ring? Doesn't make sense. Thanks in advance for sheddding any light on this subject.

Chris W

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he has to sexplain the detail like
what adapter is that? (ie. from china? or AF confirm)and what camera he has?APS-C or fulframe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard of aperture rings not moving with certain models of the Helios-44, but the focusing ring is a new one to me...

The only thing which springs to mind is that the adapter is of the flanged variety, and somehow the rear element assembly of the lens is catching in the flange. This happened to me with an Industar M39 lens several months ago - all was fine until I mounted the lens onto an adapter. Then it stopped working completely.

I can try a bunch of Helios-44s with various adapters on video cameras when I get back to Ireland, but am pretty sure it's not the camera that's at fault here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could very well be it. Thanks!