Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Bokeh Files
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: The Bokeh Files Reply with quote

There is something I myself would like to see, and I'm wondering if others might too. I'm thinking of creating a collection of bokeh examples from various lenses. I'd be willing to organize the results unless someone else feels compelled to do so.

What I am thinking is to have submissions from you forum members. Each person that participates can submit images from ... maybe up to three lenses (I'm not sure if there should be a limit). I suggest we define the parameters around the images from each lens. For instance, the type of subject and background, as well as aperture - wide open and a couple more so that we can see how a lens does while stopped down as well as fully open. Keeping it to scenes that can be easily replicated, not exactly, but similarly, will allow for direct comparisons. But I would like others to contribute to ideas of how to define the parameters.

I would like to organize and display the images without identifying the lens or contributing photographer, so the images should be newly created and not shared or published elsewhere. There can and probably would be multiple submissions from different photographers, but from the same type lens. This is okay. The final step after all is organized and presented is to comment or evaluate the results, but not on the lens/pictures you submitted (to keep objectivity).

Just some initial thoughts. Any interest?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea! I'd be willing to contribute with the lenses I have as well, but it's not all that much yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to see some results from this idea. I would suggest though that bringing the character out of a lens is not always a straight forward exercise however, even if certain parameters are established. The results would not be conclusive, but more bread crumbs on the bokeh trail can't hurt the search for those lenses we seek.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read this article from Zeiss
not a easy to find a standard scene, too much parameters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for results to be comparable the setting should have to be comparable. Something which is quite impossible to do, when some lenses have near focusing limit of 0.2m and others 1.5m

We already have the closest thing to Bokeh Files, which is we have sample galleries for many many lenses. Furthermore, there are topics which cover sample photos and there are topics which compare lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably, the best way to compare, is for one person to take shots (F2.8 & say F5.6, at one metre, with suitable background), with as many lenses as they have. Compare all of those.
Then another person does the same. Then if there is an overlap between two people, you could compare by cross referencing with the overlapping shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will suggest that we don't get too wrapped up in perfection; this could only be another sampling. It shouldn't be a competition, and each lens and focal length will display according to their own strengths and limitations. I will give thought to the type of pictures. Also, would need to agree on post processing limitations.

The same lens can produce all these bokeh variations, and it would be good to see how each looks at different stops...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
Most probably, the best way to compare, is for one person to take shots (F2.8 & say F5.6, at one metre, with suitable background), with as many lenses as they have. Compare all of those.
Then another person does the same. Then if there is an overlap between two people, you could compare by cross referencing with the overlapping shots.

Or maybe it's good to just have several pictures from several lenses in different situations so a lens can be appreciated in all circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good idea to have various distances....from closeups to infinity throughout the stops @ MFD,3-4 meters,10-15 meters,50-75 meters and infinity for the particular lens.....because it would display a lens strengths and weaknesses....as well as it's bokeh abilities.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
dnas wrote:

Or maybe it's good to just have several pictures from several lenses in different situations so a lens can be appreciated in all circumstances.

It's all up to you I guess!!! Smile

I was thinking in terms of using it as a resource. If people can spot bokeh that they really like, on a lens where exactly the same shot is taken, it might help them choose a particular lens.