Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

200mm F3.5 preset Vivitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: 200mm F3.5 preset Vivitar Reply with quote

Just had this lens delivered here to my work today. I opened it up only to find that the whole front end of the lens comes off. The front element, one of the aperture rings, some kind of spacer & a little spring are detached from the front. Anyone know how these can be reassembled? (hopefully no parts are missing). I'm at a loss as to how it goes back together. I was able to reassemble the pieces, but how does it stay together?...I'm pissed, this is one of those with lots of iris blades...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does that happen during shipping?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, gave it to Big Dawg. I did some work on mine as it had dislocated aperture blades so I had to disassemble it.

The front end is held on to the rest with, if I recall correctly, three tiny setscrews. These may be loose or missing.

The little spring may be the one that holds the little ball (if I recall correctly) that "clicks" into the detents in the aperture ring.

You want to make sure you have not lost that little ball or the setscrews. The ball may be stuck to the detents with grease if its not loose.

If you have a loose aperture blade you may have to do more extensive disassembly. A pity I didn't take pictures the time I did it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the set screws (still in the barrel, but the detent ball is missing...I reassembled it as best as I could. I'll take some test shots tomorrow after I get home from work. The Iris blades are fine (just a little oil on some). I emailed the eBay seller & am awaiting her response....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a small metal ball for that detent by destroying a very small ball bearing and using one of the balls from that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, can you elaborate on making a ball bearing?....I have taken some test shots & the the images appear to be focused behind the subject....I'm assuming it has to do with the placement of the front element?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Ed, can you elaborate on making a ball bearing?....I have taken some test shots & the the images appear to be focused behind the subject....I'm assuming it has to do with the placement of the front element?

You can check that Scott by loosening the outer lens element and seeing if that makes it worse. As to the ball bearing situation...you can ge a small bearing of the ball bearing type and break it open (sometimes requires a bench grinder to get it apart) and use one of the balls in that bearing as the detent ball. Main problem is finding a bearing with the right size balls to do the job. I have access to many bearings (used) that I pick through when I need one. The other thing you can do is run it by Peachtree Camera Repair and see if they have one. http://www.peachtreecamerarepair.com/index2.php

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen reference to using the ball from a "biro" type pen as replacement detent ball bearing. Good luck
bb2