Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cone shaped RMS -to- T-mount adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Cone shaped RMS -to- T-mount adaptor Reply with quote

Some time ago I was really not satisfied with the possibility to mount special high mag. macro lenses on a bellows - esp. why working with different brands in one setup. Zeiss Luminars on a T-mount tilt/shift bellows mounted on a Canon DSLR for instance.

To get by with proper lighting was complicated since the macro lenses are usually short and the bellows quite bulky. A cone shaped adaptor which would give a bit more magnification would come handy (Minolta hand such one for their own mount years ago). I "borrowed" that idea, yet used that universal T-mount system (M42x0.75 for the techies) to allow mounting it to different camera mounts.

I designed that and found a US company, BELJAN Manufacturing willing to manufacture it and it is now available as a product. I have no financial benefit from that, to be cristal clear about it.

That is now available quite affordable and I hope I don't breech a rule or offend anyone if I mention that link to them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=280324545297

and it looks like this:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I could see this would be very useful for using Wide angle Macro lenses with close working distance.
Getting "inside" a flower for example without the body of the bellow blocking a light source.

Nice one Klaus. I personally am a macro fan but not so much a macro shooter.
For many here this could be quite useful.
Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cone shaped RMS -to- T-mount adaptor Reply with quote

Wow! You designed it? Cool! Great to see photographers helping ourselves out where the big maker fail to supply needed products.
Btw, what exactly is that object attached to the end of the cone RMS adapter? Seems too short to be a microscope objective.

I just bought it a few days ago and it arrived last night. I want to use it for super-macro pictures of insects and such but I'm not getting anywhere due to inability to light the subjects.

I bought a used set of microscope lenses on Ebay a few months ago. It was a set of Leica (mostly) 160mm tube objectives and eye pieces. At that time I thought the eyepieces would be used for macro shooting.

Most of the objectives magnify too much except for two units which are labeled Leica Plan 4/0.10 (4x magnification?). The rest are 40x to 100x including oil immersion. Unfortunately, the Leica Plan 4/0.10 has its objective lens deeply recessed so that the only way to take a picture of something is if the object itself is self illuminated or transparent. The only thing I could take a picture of easily were the pixels making up my LCD panel.

Even with off-camera flash, the "hood" of the objective blocks light from the exact area that the lens is looking at and trying to force light in simply causes lots of glare and major loss of contrast.

Is there a way I can use the eyepieces instead of the objectives for macro photography?

The Leica Plan 40x objective has a working distance less than a millimeter when it is on my bellows. I could only use it to capture the LCD panel as well. Unlike the 4x model, this one does not have an intrusive hood.

From what I've read it looks like I should have purchased a super or extra long working distance objective. Can anyone recommend some good models that can be found cheaply online or on craigslist?

I need at least 10-15mm of working distance from the tip of the objective. Also I would love to know how to continuously light the subject strongly enough so that I can see it with a 40x objective and be able to adjust focus correctly. The actual exposure would be lighted with flash.

Thanks!

kds315* wrote:
Some time ago I was really not satisfied with the possibility to mount special high mag. macro lenses on a bellows - esp. why working with different brands in one setup. Zeiss Luminars on a T-mount tilt/shift bellows mounted on a Canon DSLR for instance.

To get by with proper lighting was complicated since the macro lenses are usually short and the bellows quite bulky. A cone shaped adaptor which would give a bit more magnification would come handy (Minolta hand such one for their own mount years ago). I "borrowed" that idea, yet used that universal T-mount system (M42x0.75 for the techies) to allow mounting it to different camera mounts.

I designed that and found a US company, BELJAN Manufacturing willing to manufacture it and it is now available as a product. I have no financial benefit from that, to be cristal clear about it.

That is now available quite affordable and I hope I don't breech a rule or offend anyone if I mention that link to them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=280324545297

and it looks like this:

[img][/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) this would belong in a seperate thread, not here
b) look for LWD, ELWD or SLWD objektives
c) they are not cheap
d) how about a special macro lens since you need long working distance, not a microscope objective?
e) look at www.macrolenses.de there are several hundred listed with data (my site)
f) Zeiss Luminars, Leitz Photars and Nikon Macro Nikkors would be the best to look for (all in RMS mount), Tomioka Tominons would be about the cheapest but have a special mount (M40) and need an adaptor ring
g) ebay would be a good source, microscope dealers sometimes also (usually more expensive), craigslist most likely not

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cone shaped adaptor has been "cloned" by our dear chinese friends and is now available very cheap on ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can you find it? I mean the seller's name?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should I promote the seller who stole my design?? hello???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Why should I promote the seller who stole my design?? hello???

You already are promoting him by mentioning that his copy of your design is available on eBay. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I know that....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Guess I know that....

Well no offence, but you should have patented it them Confused before announcing it to all of us!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times we find solutions to mounting lenses to our cameras by tinkering and as a service/benefit/good will to other like minded people, start a small batch run with a machine shop. In theory a patent would be the way to go, but getting a the lawyers to file all the paperwork would not be cost effective on the patent owner who never intended to make it a business in the first place.

It's a chicken and egg kind of deal, if you come up with a really novel idea, someone's bound to capitalize on it in this day and age. It's unfortunate, but true.

Now we have an advantage of having Alex (hk300) around with a business and manufacturing facilities in China. If we come up with an idea, he can prototype it and everyone on this forum gets to benefit from it. But then again, if the idea is good, someone can still steal it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be missing a point, but how is the cone shaped M42 to RMS adapter

Click here to see on Ebay

a copy of your cone shaped T to RMS adapter and aren't both clones of the earlier Minolta

http://www.macrolenses.de/ad_detail.php?AdapterNr=19

and Linhof adapters?