Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Chinon 50mm F/1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Auto Chinon 50mm F/1.7 Reply with quote

This is a great little lens imho!

It can be had for a low price and performs pretty well even on my Panny G1 with it's tiny pixels. I have found it to be quite sharp wide open with nice colours and contrast, even the bokeh is nice most of the time but it can be a little hard edged.

All these snaps are wide open:

a quickr pickr post

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent center !!!!

Very, very nice pics. Good colors, good contrast. I like them.

Congrats. Rino.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's no disputing it's W.O. sharpness and colors(though rarely an issue anyways). Though the bokeh is a little on the harsh side for my tastes.

But definitely above average sharpness W.O!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great results wide open, nice samples, I found colors quite off

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very competant lens from Chinon Smile Your images are excellent!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must give mine a go now Very Happy is this one K-mount like mine or m42 ?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical Chinon look to this lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white balance and/or hue seems to be off-target in several shots. No disputing detail is great, but the bokeh is quite rough - it should improve stopped down though (being a fast 50mm).

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a Chinon, it was made by Tomioka? Must it say tomioka always?
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be brutally honest, I don't think this lens has any special qualities - it's no worse and no better than many other kit lenses supplied with medium quality cameras in the 70s. I know it's cheap, but I think it's wiser to save up your money and buy a better quality Takumar/Pancolar/Nikkor/Zuiko etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
When a Chinon, it was made by Tomioka? Must it say tomioka always?
Rolling Eyes

No, I think only the ones labelled 'Tomioka' can be proved as Tomioka lenses, although there was an identical looking 55/1.4 sold both with an without the Tomioka name alongside the Chinon name. This arguement is still ongoing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Must give mine a go now Very Happy is this one K-mount like mine or m42 ?

PK mount

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
To be brutally honest, I don't think this lens has any special qualities - it's no worse and no better than many other kit lenses supplied with medium quality cameras in the 70s. I know it's cheap, but I think it's wiser to save up your money and buy a better quality Takumar/Pancolar/Nikkor/Zuiko etc.

I have plenty of better quality lenses, I just get bored of only using the best lenses all the time, I rather give everything a try at least once. If ultimate quality was my only aim I probably wouldn't be using manual lenses in the first place unless they were contemporary Zeiss. I would probably be using Canon L or the like.

I suppose everybody has different standards and aims but I just enjoy putting old lenses that predate the DSLR era by decades on my cam and getting decent results, the fact that it works at all gives me enough enjoyment.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
The white balance and/or hue seems to be off-target in several shots. No disputing detail is great, but the bokeh is quite rough - it should improve stopped down though (being a fast 50mm).

I've checked the white balance and nothing seems amiss, I have noticed this lens has a kind of colour cast to all the pictures it takes but I didn't want to correct it as I see it as a quirk of the lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, will give mine a go, it will make a change from all my Russian things, though I have tried it with a Panagor macro converter and got some decent results already Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
peterqd wrote:

I have plenty of better quality lenses, I just get bored of only using the best lenses all the time, I rather give everything a try at least once. If ultimate quality was my only aim I probably wouldn't be using manual lenses in the first place unless they were contemporary Zeiss. I would probably be using Canon L or the like.

I suppose everybody has different standards and aims but I just enjoy putting old lenses that predate the DSLR era by decades on my cam and getting decent results, the fact that it works at all gives me enough enjoyment.

Yes, I understand your thinking. It's just that I have several lenses like that which get left on the shelf when I'm packing my bag. They're just taking up space. I only keep the Chinon 1.7/50 because it pairs with the CM-3, which I do like using.