Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD lens-questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Canon FD lens-questions Reply with quote

Managed to get a very nice Canon AE-1 with Data-Back, Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron) 70-210 1:3,5 and this beautiful set of Canon lenses in outstanding condition.

By simply holding this Canon lenses in front of my Sigma for some wide-open close-up shots, I got some promising results. Seems I can't avoid aquiering a micro 4/3 in the long run of time....
Anyone experiences with the proper adapter for this lenses? Sellers/makers, I should prefer or avoid?
Anyone experienced with this Canon lenses on micro 4/3?

Greetings
klaus

Last edited by exaklaus on Tue May 11, 2010 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! mint bingo! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
wow! mint bingo! Shocked

YES!!!!! Razz Razz Razz

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I believe fotodiox do one for about 55 dollars at least I have seen Nikon ones around here on sale for similar?

exaklaus wrote:
poilu wrote:
wow! mint bingo! Shocked

YES!!!!! Razz Razz Razz

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
The Viv is a well regarded glass. The Canons you got are top class, being the "50 1.4 ssc" the more common (but not less than excellent). The "85 1.2 SSC aspherical" belongs to series known in the more recent versions as "L". Cannot help about the adapters but with this team you can't go wrong. If you're still interested in film photography the AE-1 is a good body too, sturdy as they used to be.

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

I believe fotodiox do one for about 55 dollars at least I have seen Nikon ones around here on sale for similar?

Great, already sent a mail and asked for postage costs. Thank you

marty wrote:
Congrats!
The Viv is a well regarded glass. The Canons you got are top class, being the "50 1.4 ssc" the more common (but not less than excellent). The "85 1.2 SSC aspherical" belongs to series known in the more recent versions as "L". Cannot help about the adapters but with this team you can't go wrong. If you're still interested in film photography the AE-1 is a good body too, sturdy as they used to be.

Cheers, M.-

The Vivitar will have to be cleaned, has a spot inside. Next time, when sending some lenses in for repair.
The Canon lenses are flawless. All were protected with filters.
The AE-1 seems to work fine, but with the light seals, it is time for a change Confused
No problem, meanwhile, I'm experienced with replacing them.
Will give this outfit a try with film.

Greetings
klaus

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The AE-1 seems to work fine, but with the light seals, it is time for a change
Common problem, the material originally used tends to rot over time. With the right stuff you'll be ok indefinitely. Check also the mirror damper, if it rots the bits can stick to the focusing screen (and all over the cage).

M.-

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AE-1 is a nice camera tough as nails with a bright viewfinder. The data-back is pretty rare and nice to have.

I don't know much about the Vivitar but the FD lenses you have are fine lenses. I really like the 28mm. Infinity with it, as I remember, is something like 10-12 feet. Most of the time you can leave it set for infinity and point and shoot. You got some nice glass. By the way, in case you didn't know those are called the new model FD.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use several canon fd lenses with my lumix G1: 24/2.8 50/1.4 35-105/3.5 70-150/4.5 80-200/4.0 135/2.5 300/4.0.
I bought an adapter via ebay: objectnumber 280499753835.
The adapter can stay on the camera when changing lenses. It has a separate ring to close the aperture and works like a charm.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:

I don't know much about the Vivitar but the FD lenses you have are fine lenses. ....By the way, in case you didn't know those are called the new model FD.

I'm pretty sure, I will not keep the Vivitar for long. Will give it a try, after that, it will probably have to go at Ebay. Same probably with the Data back of the AE-1.
Didn*t know the lenses are called "new model FD". Thank you for information.

hjwhooub wrote:
It has a separate ring to close the aperture and works like a charm.

Maybe a stupid question: Do all FD adapters have that ring? Is it neccessary for closing diaphragm? Don't know to much about Canon.

Klaus

Last edited by exaklaus on Tue May 11, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine with Alex (hk300). No problems with this adapter at all. Congrats for your nice lenses. These look like new.

Under m4/3 section there is a sticky thread with some samples. I believe I added few with FD lenses too.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly like new (99,9%).

Will check for samples.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe a stupid question: Do all FD adapters have that ring? Is it neccessary for closing diaphragm? Don't know to much about Canon.

I checked the pictures on e-bay and all showed this feature. I think you will need it with the FD-new mount (black bayonet type). For this type the aperture stop down can not be fixed. For the older breech lock with silver ring as shown by Klaus the aperture stop down can be put into a fixed position.
Quote:
By the way, in case you didn't know those are called the new model FD.
It is the other way around. The silver ring lenses are called breech lock and are the older ones. The new type has a black inner bayonet.
For more info look here:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/index.html

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hjwhooub wrote:
Quote:

I checked the pictures on e-bay and all showed this feature. I think you will need it with the FD-new mount (black bayonet type). For this type the aperture stop down can not be fixed. For the older breech lock with silver ring as shown by Klaus the aperture stop down can be put into a fixed position.
Quote:
It is the other way around. The silver ring lenses are called breech lock and are the older ones. The new type has a black inner bayonet.
For more info look here:

Thank you. So, just to make it clear that I understood it correctly, a closing of the diaphragm manually will be possible when the lens is on the adapter?

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
hjwhooub wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
For more info look here:

Thank you. So, just to make it clear that I understood it correctly, a closing of the diaphragm manually will be possible when the lens is on the adapter?

Klaus

You are right. I didn't notice the chrome ring on yours. I took a quick look and by the time I responded thought they had the black ring. I know them by heart and by some reason didn't notice yours had the chrome ring. I need to pay attention before I spout off.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
hjwhooub wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
For more info look here:

Klaus

You are right. I didn't notice the chrome ring on yours. I took a quick look and by the time I responded thought they had the black ring. I know them by heart and by some reason didn't notice yours had the chrome ring. I need to pay attention before I spout off.

I think you will like this site.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/index.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is like a "preset lens". You can close the aperture up to the value you have chosen at the lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:

So, just to make it clear that I understood it correctly, a closing of the diaphragm manually will be possible when the lens is on the adapter?

Klaus

Yes. There is a small "button" which is pushed in on the lens, when an FD lens is mounted, and the adapter pulls the aperture leaver all the way around, which means you control the aperture directly. If you take a look at the bottom of the lenses, you can just see this tiny button, which you can push with your fingernail, and turn the breech lock.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks to all.
Great forum members, very responding!!

Klaus