Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar/Elicar 90mm macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Vivitar/Elicar 90mm macro Reply with quote

Having already bought the Elicar 90/2.5 macro I then picked up the Vivitar version of this lens.
I thought I'd share a couple of photos to show the 'difference' between them, not that there's a lot.

The Elicar is labelled f2.5, the Vivitar is f2.8.
Somebody said these differing max aperture numbers were simply marketing gimmicks. I have no idea. I do know the front element on the Elicar is wider than the Vivitar, but I don't know if that 3mm makes any difference to the max aperture.
The Elicar is heavier by 45g, according to my ancient scales.
The Vivitar has a greenish coating, the Elicar more purple. (despite the Vivitar reflecting the colour kitchen I have)
They both have a 62mm filter thread.
The Elicar is Nikon mount, the Vivitar M42.

Here's how they look together:

I'm keeping the Elicar and selling the Vivitar. How did I choose one over the other? I prefer the look and feel of the Elicar. Wink
I can find no difference in their performance but the Vivitar is much, much cleaner and appears hardly used. The Elicar is fatter and fits my hand better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice presentation , I like both.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i ve panagor PMC auto macro 90/2.8 and it s a mix of these 2 lenses

it looks like the vivitar but whit color marking (red/white) and coating of the elicar (brown/purple)
i love this lens but have lot of CA under f5.6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMDBill wrote:
hi

it looks like the vivitar but whit color marking (red/white) and coating of the elicar (brown/purple)

Interesting, I haven't noticed any particular CA issues with either of my two. I'd love to see similar photos of your lens, just to compare looks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you did shoot in different lights, I did see CA with Olympus OM 90mm f2 wide open when light was strong and reflected. Even best lenses produce in special light CA , this is valid for Planar 85mm f1.4 too at F5.6 in special light.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice presentation , I like both.

Thanks Attila.
I too like them both, they seem to be very well built and feel good in the hand and on the camera. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Perhaps you did shoot in different lights, I did see CA with Olympus OM 90mm f2 wide open when light was strong and reflected. Even best lenses produce in special light CA , this is valid for Planar 85mm f1.4 too at F5.6 in special light.

I didn't know the best lenses are prone too, well you learn something every day here. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
AMDBill wrote:
hi

Interesting, I haven't noticed any particular CA issues with either of my two. I'd love to see similar photos of your lens, just to compare looks. Very Happy

this is this one http://classicameras.blogspot.fr/2010/04/panagor-90mm28-macro.html

if i shoot a cap olympus (black/silver) whit an angle (not in front) i ve a lot of CA green/red

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot: Can you use both on the same camera? I'd be curious if they both meter the same at fully open in same situation - or does the marked aperture difference show up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
SonicScot: Can you use both on the same camera? I'd be curious if they both meter the same at fully open in same situation - or does the marked aperture difference show up?

Funny you should ask that. I tested that very thing only an hour ago, taking 8 different photos with both lenses in identical conditions.
The Elicar always had a faster shutter speed. Surprised
Perhaps it's the different coatings, perhaps the apertures are really 2.8 and 2.5. I don't know for sure because I'm no expert. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious is probably the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMDBill wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
AMDBill wrote:
hi

this is this one http://classicameras.blogspot.fr/2010/04/panagor-90mm28-macro.html

if i shoot a cap olympus (black/silver) whit an angle (not in front) i ve a lot of CA green/red

It looks very similar, as you said, a mixture between the Vivitar and Elicar.

I just stepped outside and took a shot wide open, there is a hint of purple fringing but it's nothing compared to some of my lenses.
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar/Elicar 90mm macro Reply with quote

[quote="SonicScot"]Having already bought the Elicar 90/2.5 macro I then picked up the Vivitar version of this lens.
I thought I'd share a couple of photos to show the 'difference' between them, not that there's a lot.

Somebody said these differing max aperture numbers were simply marketing gimmicks. I have no idea. I do know the front element on the Elicar is wider than the Vivitar, but I don't know if that 3mm makes any difference to the max aperture.
The Vivitar has a greenish coating, the Elicar more purple. (despite the Vivitar reflecting the colour kitchen I have)

Is the front lens diameter of the Elicar bigger?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar/Elicar 90mm macro Reply with quote

[quote="komet"]
SonicScot wrote:
Having already bought the Elicar 90/2.5 macro I then picked up the Vivitar version of this lens.

Is the front lens diameter of the Elicar bigger?

Yes, 3mm bigger.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
The obvious is probably the answer.

It's tempting to actually 'operate' on these two, open them up and measure the innards.
But I'm not going to mess with a lens I'm selling, that wouldn't be wise.
I'm going to stick with my theory that the Elicar is f2.5. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SonicScot"]
woodrim wrote:

I'm going to stick with my theory that the Elicar is f2.5. Cool

That seems to be true, why not.