Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about shaving 5d mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Question about shaving 5d mirror Reply with quote

Soon, I will be getting a used 5d and I know I will have to shave its mirror, since I own alt. glasses that will hit it at infinity. Of course, this is a rather dangerous affair and I have two major concerns.
1) What is the worst that can happen if some of that nasty dust (shaved plastic, glass or whatever) gets into the body?
2)How much can I shave (in mm) before I will see vignetting in the bottom of the viewfinder?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=13129&highlight=mirror+shaving&sid=0361efdcff65819980621126161f8357

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello ..

please, have a look at these pictures ..

I have done this by my hand - it's easy - you can do it in your own..

If you need any help - let me know.

I'll give you some guide and also what tools you need to use..

This camera is 5D MarkII... and you need a nail file and very sharp knife -- nothing else

s

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Question about shaving 5d mirror Reply with quote

shoenberg3 wrote:
Soon, I will be getting a used 5d and I know I will have to shave its mirror, since I own alt. glasses that will hit it at infinity. Of course, this is a rather dangerous affair and I have two major concerns.
1) What is the worst that can happen if some of that nasty dust (shaved plastic, glass or whatever) gets into the body?
2)How much can I shave (in mm) before I will see vignetting in the bottom of the viewfinder?
Thanks

All I know is that the mirror on 5D (Mk I) is different from 5D MkII - I suppose that mirror shaving on 5D MkII is EASIER.

The 5D has a mirror from different material and the shape of the mirror frame is also slightly different.

You must shave about 1.5mm as a standard .. Smile
if we can call this as standard in this non-standard situation Smile

I shaved my mirror by 1.5mm and the vignetting is noticeable when using lenses such as zoom and macros -- especially macro is a good example when you getting to very close distances

otherwise - there is nothing to be worried about - for majority of your lenses, the shaving is going to be fine..

Any lens up 100 mm (non macro) doesn't limit you in view ..