Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bessa Voigtlander - Acceptable Price?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Bessa Voigtlander - Acceptable Price? Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

I bought this impulsively. I don't really know anything about these cameras, I just wanted to try the 6x9 format. I was looking for a Moskva 5 but it didn't look as if I could get a decent one for less than $100. And it may come to pass that I don't particularly like folders at all, so that sort of spending isn't very appealing.

This one sounded good from the description. Did I do ok?

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try many 6x9 camera, good ones rare going under 100 USD.

Moskva is same trouble makers than many Russian cameras, non-working etc.

I have this Voigtlander, I made one roll with it , not a top one...
as it's price level shows.

If you need a good one try to get Bessa RF with Skopar or Heliar lenses.

Budget around 250-400 USD

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I did try many 6x9 camera, good ones rare going under 100 USD.

Moskva is same trouble makers than many Russian cameras, non-working etc.

I have this Voigtlander, I made one roll with it , not a top one...
as it's price level shows.

If you need a good one try to get Bessa RF with Skopar or Heliar lenses.

Budget around 250-400 USD

You can get Ercona II around or below than 100 USD and lens IQ is very good.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/german/ercona_ii/

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Voigtar lens, which was the cheapest of the lenses commonly used on the Bessa, being a run-of-the-mill triplet, though it's an f/3.5, and as the shutter goes from 1 - 400 (if it goes at all, that is), I'm guessing it's a Compur-Rapid, which is not too bad. I figure your price is good, though the postage looks pretty steep. You might need to factor in a CLA, in case the shutter speeds are sticky and the focussing needs freeing up. You might also want to test the bellows for light-tightness using the old flashlight trick. I don't have a Voigtlander Bessa (my 6x9 is a Super Ikonta C), but I'm told attention may need to be paid to check that the lens assembly is parallel to the film plane when the bellows are folded out.

The fact that the lens is at the low end of the range needn't deter you. Many people like the 'look' such lenses give, and if you wanted a sharp lens, you'd get a modern camera anyway.

I'm puzzled why he's saying there's a partly exposed roll in it. If it were my dad's camera, I'd be processing that roll myself!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I figure your price is good, though the postage looks pretty steep.

I'm in the U.S. so shipping was only $8.

Thank you for the answers Alex and Attila!
In truth, the triplet on my Ikoflex (a triotar) seems to deliver more than acceptable results. As long as it is clear, I think I'll be happy. I wanted to try a cheaper folder before spending any big money. I know some who really don't like the feeling. I think if I was to really delve into the 6x9 world, I would go for a Fuji anyhow.

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these for less, but it was a lucky buy in a lot. Same camera - 3.5 Voigtar and Compur-Rapid. I figure these can certainly go for more, maybe $50 is a more typical price.

The Voigtar is definitely a triplet and it is quite easy to disassemble and clean btw, unlike the Skopar I have.

Funny that a "cheap" lens like the Voigtar was placed in an expensive shutter like the Compur-Rapid. The build quality of this Voigtlander is considerably better than than all my other 6x9 folders.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth may be, a triplet of that era in a 6x9 may actually be better than a Tessar type. If things are adjusted well you might get less of the 'vintage' look than you might expect.

ps. I like how it was listed in the 35mm camera section Wink