Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rituals?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Rituals? Reply with quote

I spotted this couple yesterday displaying some kind of synchronised behaviour.
They dipped their necks and splashed around in the water, and then raised their heads and looked at each other.
I'm not much of a bird expert, just like to take photos of them, but I wonder if this could be some kind of mating ritual. Or maybe they were just bored and wanted to put on a display in front of the camera Smile

Also note in the last shot that their necks tend to form the "heart" symbol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rituals? Reply with quote

Sven wrote:

....I wonder if this could be some kind of mating ritual.

Yes. If you Google "mute swan courtship" you will find lots of links ... with particular reference to the famous heart shape.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rituals? Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Sven wrote:

....I wonder if this could be some kind of mating ritual.

Yes. If you Google "mute swan courtship" you will find lots of links ... with particular reference to the famous heart shape.

Interesting
And the heart shape was famous also. I thought for a moment that it was just something I happened to see in this shot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos! I am particularly impressed by capture of range of tonal graduations in the water reflections.

Very interesting, I did not know mating Swans actually formed the heart shape, but thought it was a clever composition similar to the side-by-side wine glasses forming either a single glass or opposing faces, depending on viewer...

Yes, of course, for synchronisation of biological functions preparitory to actual sex act, serves the same purpose as human foreplay. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a nice ones, especially last one!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments and information!
There is always something to learn it seems.

Swans are nice big photo targets. It would be more of an achievement to document the courtship of the blue tits on photo of course.

The lens is a Tokina 5.6 /300 by the way. I didn't expect much from it when I bought it last year, but I think it mostly delivers quite nice results.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely set of photographs. Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, good catch of a passing opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. It looks like the lens controls highlights very well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!

Martin:
I agree about the highlights when you brought my attention to it.
I have lightened up the shadow in the last shot, but the first two are not processed.