Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

acceptable 500mm to 1000mm+ manual focus lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: acceptable 500mm to 1000mm+ manual focus lens Reply with quote

All,

As the title says, would you recommend some cheap(with acceptable quality - i.e relatively sharp in the center is good enough) 500mm to 1000mm lens. I am thinking to pickup one to play with; so it is not for serious stuff. What brand do you think would be ok? Should I go with mirror lens for portability, if so what would you recommend?

Thanks for your time,
Cheve

ed: changed thread title

ed2: I have adapters for OM,nikkon, m42 and etc -- will get other if needed

Last edited by cheve on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: acceptable 500mm+ manual focus lens Reply with quote

cheve wrote:
All,

As the title says, would you recommend some cheap(with acceptable quality - i.e relatively sharp in the center is good enough) 500mm to 1000mm lens. I am thinking to pickup one to play with; so it is not for serious stuff. What brand do you think would be ok? Should I go with mirror lens for portability, if so what would you recommend?

Thanks for your time,
Cheve

On independent , 3x lenses are really good
    Tokina 500/8
    Tamron sp 500/8
    Makinon 500/8 (i sell mine in om mount)

On camera manufacturer
    Nikon 500/8
    Canon 500/8
    Minolta 500/8
    Olympus 500/8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, there.
Tamron SP 500 55B or BB. Good value for the money. Well built, sharp, lightweight. Comes with screw in hood. With the addition of the 01F flat field 2X teleconverter it will become a 1000mm f16. Not bad Smile. I have both even if I've not yet shot the TC with the 500mm. Given the result with Tamron 90 macro I expect the TC to behave good even with the 500 but can't tell for sure.

Best, M.-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty, PBFACTS

thank you for your information, I was also able to read http://forum.mflenses.com/1000mm-m42-lenses-t26908.html which gave me some more idea--should have done more search on the forum first:-D

Riio
thank you for the sample. However, I think calling other names is not the right thing to do; nor it is helpful to support your view point(whatever that may be). I hope you will fair better this time around. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind donuts and prefer a light weight gear, you might want to consider the Soviet-made mirror lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
If you don't mind donuts and prefer a light weight gear, you might want to consider the Soviet-made mirror lenses.

Japanese-made mirrors should be considered also. In my kit:

* Sakar (Japanese) 500/8, 420g, US$13 (2 years ago), easy fit on dSLR

* Rubinar (Russian) 1000/10, 1800g, ~US$225, needs extension tubes to fit under flash housing

Use of the 500/8 is trivial; the 1000/10 is non-trivial. That Rubinar is BIG. Also, don't aim at subjects with twinkly sparkly backgrounds, and you won't get donut bokeh. Cheers!