Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta AL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Minolta AL Reply with quote

I recently scored a very clean Minolta AL in good cosmetic condition and am having it CLA'd right now, as the shutter operation was erratic and the rangefinder and meter both needed attention. However, I have been assured that it should go OK once serviced. Smile

Any other AL owners out there? Opinion, experiences, please? Question

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the AL is a great camera and often found at bargain prices. It's also fairly
easy to work on. That little round plate on top comes off and gives access
to the rangefinder adjustment screws -- a handy feature.

It has an excellent lens, nice viewfinder with parallax correction and shutter
speeds to 1/1000. It's hard to beat and, in my opinion, really better than a
lot of the more "famous" RF cameras that go for much higher prices.

The Minolta AL-S and AL-F are nice too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my first rangefinder and the only one I'd really use for stealthy street photography (the leaf shutter is quieter than my Soviet RF:s). The 40.5mm filter size comes in handy if one also have, for example, Soviet rangefinders. I think the viewfinder with its pink rangefinder spot is fairly bright (brighter than a Yashica Electro 35GSN), I did open up mine to clean it (proved to be unnecessary). The lens is very nice and the copal shutter on my sample is working excellent.

I haven't bothered with the built-in light meter and instead taped it over; I use a handheld meter or casually "sunny f/16". The only negative thing I can think of is that it's quite heavy for its size, I use a wider strap and keep the AL's "never-ready" case in storage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off topic: scoo, your signature is a hoot ...

back to topic: i have the AL's cousin, an A5. very nicely engineered hunk o' camera, but the rangefinder is difficult for me to use (old right eye) ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding, guys.

As I said, it's being CLA'd as I write, and now I'm just waiting to get it back. Smile

What I really liked about it, when I saw it, was the extensive range of shutter speeds and apertures available: B to 1/1,000th, and f/2 to f/22! Very Happy

(Not to mention flash synch at any shutter speed!)

It is as heavy as a brick, though Surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo wrote:
...As I said, it's being CLA'd as I write, and now I'm just waiting to get it back. Smile...

Well, its back and looks and feels like brand new Very Happy .

I am puting my first roll of film through it now Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to some samples.