Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro nikkor 200mm f4 with internal focus ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Micro nikkor 200mm f4 with internal focus ? Reply with quote

I have the 300mm f4.5 ED and this lens seems to have similar construction
Does it also have ED glass..... i can find nothing on this lens via google
it does have internal focusing like the 300
Anybody with more info please !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/patrickh/nikon_micro_nikkor_200mm_f4/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/nikon_nikkor/nikon_micro_nikkor_200mm_f4_001/

One of the best 200mm lens what I had, very , very pleasant Zoo lens. I didn't like it's macro performance , but any other purposes just stunning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila...I think i will grab it !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it , don't think about any single minute.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Micro-Nikkor 200mm f4 IF AI-S does better at closeups then true macro...the lens does better at macro with a reversed 4T closeup lens,rather then using the TC 300 or the TC 301.

Bjørn Rørslett reviews this on his website....http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html

A nicely handling lens, that due to its IF construction focuses very quickly and smoothly. It renders quite sharp images within the optimal range of f/5.6-f/11, but either wide open or stopped well down quality isn't that impressive. Depending on the subject and focused distance, residual colour fringing can be an issue as often observed with IF designs. This in particular holds for the out-of-focus areas in the image. The lens flares quite easily and ghosting can really be prominent when shooting with it into the sun.

By itself it focuses to 1:2. Nikon advocates the use of TC-300/301 to get to life-size 1:1, but this gives a very dark and vibration-prone package, and the image quality declines significantly by adding the teleconverter.

It's much better, and simpler, to use the close-up lens 4T for attaining this magnification. Note however that 4T must be mounted in a reverse position in order to give good image quality (the AF Micro 105 behaves in the same way). This is easily achieved by mounting 4T onto a 52/52 mm thread reversal ring. You can glue together two Cokin adapter rings or similar in a piggy-back fashion to get a makeshift solution. Cheap - but it works. The reason why reversal gives better quality is likely linked to improved control of spherical aberration. Alternatively, the close-up lens is designed to correct field curvature, but a Micro-Nikkor is designed as a flat-field lens so adding a close-up lens might overcorrect thus creating unsharp corners. Try out for yourself.

Evidence of CA is more pronounced when this lens is used on a DLSR. On the other hand, since the current "DX" format of Nikon DSLRs is smaller than 24x36mm, you get less trouble with softening of the image corners.

I would also suggest using extension tubes or tubes coupled with a reversed 4T closeup lens.