Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Md fitup guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Minolta Md fitup guide Reply with quote

This thread will be a fitup guide to Minolta MD lens.There is alot of wrong info on the net. I want to try to get togther in one place links to conversions for these lenses and what they will fit.

Please if you've done a conversion post it in this thread.
If you have any links to conversions please post them.

First is Minolta MD,MC to Minolta Af conversion mount. This was done by
Arkku.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arkku/1266937278/

Click on Next Picture at the end of his text to next section. 5 parts total.

Work in progress.I will be adding to this thread over the next couple days.

Last edited by walter g on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Md with M42 mount.
Woodrim this ones for you.

Pete Ganzel was working on a kit to convert Minolta Md lenses to M42.
I believe he has finished it and it is for sale on his website.

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/root&view=tree

If you look down the list you will see pictures of how to take a Minolta 58mm lens apart.

Last edited by walter g on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Md on a Canon EOS Camera Mount Conversion

One of the big myths is that you cannot use Minolta Md lenses on a Canon EOS.
Mauro Placido came up with a replacement mount for the Canon which allows you to use MD lenses.His website has testing and techinical info.
He also sells the Mount thru EBAY. A link is on his website. Please read his
website it is very thorough.

This is a good reverseable option if you have alot of Minolta lenses.

http://digitalrokkor.altervista.org/why.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Md on a Canon EOS Lens Mount Conversion.

Option 2 is if you only have a couple lenses.
Jim Buchanan is offering replacements mounts for certain Minolta lenses.

58mm f1.2, 85mm f1.7 I believe he has added a couple I will check.
He has a website and I believe he also sells thru EBAY.

http://www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Walter. I was aware of Pete's good work, but I do not know that he is selling kits. He does a good job of showing how it's done on his picture site. I had the impression from what you said that there might be a more commercial concern selling kits. I'd like to convert my Rokkor 50mm f/1.4, but the mount isn't the same as the 58mm documented on Pete's site. Buchanon seems to have done a very neat job of his, but my camera is Sony, not Canon.

Just for the record, these conversions aren't to M42, but are directly to alternate DSLR mounts.

I've started several conversions already, abandoned two due to complexity, have three still still in the works, and have completed two. The biggest problem is that the mounts are all different from lens to lens. Some are overly complicated, in my opinion. I like the ones where the mount easily removes without removing a rear element with it or disabling the aperture. Unfortunately, most I run into aren't this way. My Rokkor 50mm has a very different mount than the 58mm.

I recently purchased a Mamiya Sekor 55mm f/1.4. I'm hoping it's at least as good as the Rokkor as then I can forget about the Rokkor conversion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of converting a MC Rokkor-PG 50/1.4 and yes, the mounts are different to those already documented. I have an idea to use a EOS T-Mount and get my machinist to cut out the lens side of the mount. The mount will have to be secured by three little set screws secured to the lens body. I'll document this as it comes along.

I also have a MD W.Rokkor 28/3.5 which has a very similar mount to my 50/1.4 so if the 50/1.4 works, will do another for the 28 and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, I've collected various info on remounting Minolta lenses with different mounts, and I decided to put it all in a thread.

Some of it was lost do to computer trouble. I'm still trying to find the 50mm conversion.

I will be posting more M42 info as look it up again. I will try to find the link were Pete is selling the M42 conversion mounts. I believe he has them
done. I thought they were around $70. But I will have to check.

As you've found out some mounts are harder to convert than others.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a chance i can convert a vivitar 100mm f2.8 macro to m42?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a20010494 wrote:
Is there a chance i can convert a vivitar 100mm f2.8 macro to m42?

Is the current mount Minolta? It will depend on the style mount. Post a picture that shows partial side view. Unless you want to use it on multiple camera mounts, converting to M42 is senseless when you can convert directly to the desired mount.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some additional links at the bottom of this page. Some are duplicated though.

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/minolta-rokkor-58-to-canon-eos-conversion.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter, thanks for this thread. I'm a Minolta owner but on film only. I'm a bit of a purist and I don't really feel comfortable about damaging beautiful old lenses to fit modern plastic cameras, much better the other way round. However, it's far better to see them used than sitting gathering dust. Smile

I'd like to put in a word for our own member Koji, who has converted MC/MD lenses to EOS and also adapted an EOS camera to MD mount I think. Here is his page for the instructions on the MC 1.4/58
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/minolta_mc_to_ef_mount_conversions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Rokkor 50mm f/1.4. As you can see, the mount isn't secured by screws in the flange surface. There are screws from the side, but I'm reluctant to remove them before knowing if they are the release. I removed screws from the side of a Vivitar Minolta mount lens and totally screwed up the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Walter, thanks for this thread. I'm a Minolta owner but on film only. I'm a bit of a purist and I don't really feel comfortable about damaging beautiful old lenses to fit modern plastic cameras, much better the other way round. However, it's far better to see them used than sitting gathering dust. Smile

peterqd: I understand your position as I too am very sentimental about the old equipment. That is in fact why I wish to convert some of my old lenses rather than see them never used again. Although there certainly is some butchering going on, and I'd rather see a professional concern develop fully functional adaptations, I think it is better that these lenses are being used than not. There is little question in my mind that the photographic world will continue on the digital path and film will dwindle to eventual rarity or even extinction. Already today there is a glut of old lenses sitting in closets and drawers and if not somehow adapter to digital use, will have no use at all.