Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar 16mm M42 on 5d ¿will it work?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Zenitar 16mm M42 on 5d ¿will it work? Reply with quote

Hi,
A week ago I ordered this lens thinking it will work ok on the 5d, at least is what this said http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/
Now I see that some people has had trouble with the mirror, I thougth that the filter was that, just a filter but now I see people saying is part of the optical design.
I am confused!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem here, M42 Zenitar 2.8/16 and M42-EF adapter. Lens focuses to infinity and is very sharp with or without filter (no change); the 5D1 mirror does not hit it.

EDIT: The "(no change)" part is inaccurate; position of focus ring to attain infinity focus is different with filter and without. As aoleg says in post below, my lens focuses past infinity with filter, and only to infinity without (perhaps a little short, I cannot see for certain)

Last edited by visualopsins on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to modify the filter of my old Zenitar 16 / 2.8 with M42 mount to work with a unmodified Canon 5D and infinity.
I have to file down the border of the filter fitting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with mine. I guess it depends on the adapter; I can definitely imagine how using a very thin M42 adapter can put the protruding rear filter closer to the mirror, causing the hit. Does not happen with mine though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
No problem here, M42 Zenitar 2.8/16 and M42-EF adapter. Lens focuses to infinity and is very sharp with or without filter (no change); the 5D1 mirror does not hit it.

Without a filter, you would not be able to focus to infinity. If you were able to do that without the filter, than *with* the filter the lens would focus *past* infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
siriusdogstar wrote:

Without a filter, you would not be able to focus to infinity. If you were able to do that without the filter, than *with* the filter the lens would focus *past* infinity.

Thank you. Post prompted me to try again. I have verified my lens does reach infinity (or very very close) without filter, and beyond infinity with filter. (I'd also forgotten until now how much fun can be had with this lens! Smile)