Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sorry to ask about Nikon non-AI lens again
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Sorry to ask about Nikon non-AI lens again Reply with quote

I am now a little confused and would like to have more confirmation or discussion about the usage of Nikon's pre-AI or non-AI lenses on a Nikon camera. I have a Fuji S5, which is practically a Nikon D200.

Last week, I bought an old Nikkormat FT and it come with a non-AI lens. I used the lens on my S5 and it works fine. Sample of the lens and photos taken by S5 is on the following link
http://forum.mflenses.com/nikon-38-95mm-zoom-lens-t26839.html

After readings of the articles in website (Ken Rockwell, Nikonian Org, etc) and discussions in this forum, I am not going to mount that lens on my S% anymore, until I heard that others did use it for a Nikon D200 or Fuji S5.
Any comments or experience to use non AI lens on these 2 cameras is very much appreciated.

I must tell you to differentiate the issue of (a) the lens do not mount at all, (b) the lens mounts and works only in manual mode without damaging the camera, (c) the lens mounts and works flawlessly (with metering if non-CPU lens option is selected in the menu) and without damaging the camera

I am getting worried after I read the articles and comments. I tried the camera afterwards with other AI and AI-S lenses, and to my relief, it works just fine and the mirror, metering, etc. works OK (and on the spot). So, what is the issue here?

I am sure the lens is a pre-AI (see photos on link), as it has the solid "rabbit ear", and not ridge that will toggle the ring of the camera when you mount it. When I used it on Fuji S5, I did not hear unusual things such as unusual mirror lock up, scrapping sound, etc.

Thanks for anymore discussion and sorry if this has been discussed to death in the past. Currently, I may as well will not mount this lens again, as I do not want to loose my precious Fuji S5 (which is now discontinued and no longer available/difficult to find in the used market)..... Unless I hear more info and positive answers from others about this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry to ask about Nikon non-AI lens again Reply with quote

Generally, third-party non-Ai lenses can be mounted on the new Nikon bodies. You lose metering, but that's it. On the other hand, pre-Ai Nikkors (manufactured by Nikon) should not be mounted without a modification as they have a protrusion in the aperture control ring that may damage the camera's metering prong.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to post a clear photo of the back of the lens. Does the aperture ring overhang the mount at all?