Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Toy Photography: Range Murata PSE Collection CDB Chair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Toy Photography: Range Murata PSE Collection CDB Chair Reply with quote

Taken with a Helios-44M, my official toy lens until the Helios-44M 7 arrives.

I have not learned how to soften direct sunlight yet Sad

Click to photo to see large version

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't lose touch with the Helios-44M when #7 arrives - it's been a great lens for you Wink

With regard to softening light - there are many common household items that are perfectly acceptable substitutes for expensive diffusers and reflectors.

I attended a seminar some years ago, given by a Canadian guy called Dave Montizambert, and on day one he went through the tips and tricks for one-light portraits, using everyday items to compensate for only having one light source. He used a white bedsheet as a diffuser (hang one over the source of the daylight - a window?) and the light immediately becomes softer. A translucent shower curtain also does the same job if one is to hand. Aluminium foil stretched over trays, plates, mirrors (less harsh as a reflector than the mirror itself), picture frames, etc makes for cheap reflectors. There was a PDF on his website but it's since been removed and I can't find it on my computer anymore...

There is a guide to table-top photography which you can find here - it might just work for your style of photography! Back in the day, one of my Hasselblad clients used a larger version of this setup for food photography.

Hope this is of some help to you Carlo Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mal: My wife would probably have a fit if I use the white bed sheets but I might get my own translucent white shower curtain. This is a great idea. Thank you very much.