Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

kodak retina reflex--thoughts/opinions sought
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: kodak retina reflex--thoughts/opinions sought Reply with quote

in looking for some compact lenses for my olympus ep1, i stumbled upon kodak retina reflex lenses, with which i have been tremendously impressed and started collecting. i was lucky enough to score a kodak retina reflex iv camera (came as a package with a xenon 50/1.9 i wanted) for very little money. it looks like its in great shape, and i just ordered an original owners manual.

i was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this type camera, and thoughts/opinions on what i can expect.

thanks!
tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Retina Reflex "S" was my first SLR, as it was my dads camera. I probably put a hundred rolls through this. The "S" is just like the IV, with a few less features.

I found it a very nice piece of equipment, excellent build, lovely looks, smooth operation. The viewfinder was very effective in establishing proper focus, and the split-image worked very well. This was a camera that always delivered reliably and predictably.

The IV was even better (I own a broken one at the moment), as it had mirrors, etc. to show the aperture scale and other info in the finder.

As for ergonomics, the big issues are that the cocking lever ins under the camera and not on top like all other SLR's, and the speed is set on the ring around the lens, like all leaf shutter SLR's. Of course, when I was using it it seemed to me that all SLR's should be that way, you can certainly get used to anything.

One thing I never had to worry about was flash sync, thanks to the leaf shutter which synced at all speeds.

The big problem with the Retinas is that they are not in fact reliable-they are complex, they are full of interlocks, the shutter, film advance and lens mount/aperture systems are all likely to break down. Most of these for sale these days have something wrong with them. If you have a "runner", you are lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Retina Reflex S as well and liked it. It has the shutter
release on top which I prefer to the sliding, front-mounted release on
some of the other models.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. i will try the camera out some time over the next few weeks--havent shot film in over 10 years!

while i am apprehensive about the camera, i have to say, i love the lenses on my ep1. they are simply amazing in sharpness and contrast, and imho they produce the most interesting rich color of any lens ive used, save my contax lenses. plus, they are incredibly compact and i think very attractive. i want to get an adapter for my 5d, but the af confirm ones cost well over $100usd...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the cousins of the retinas, the voigtlanders SRL. And used the retinas lenses in them.

Only one lens I didn't like, was the 4/28 curtagon. And the 4,8/200 that I hadn't. The rest are very good (I especialy remember the 2,8/35, the 1,9/50 and the 4/135 as very good ones).

You can mount the voigtlander Bessamatic/ultramatics lenses on the retina, the 2/50 septon and the 2/40 skopagon are very good lenses.

Good luck.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rino--you are right on as usual. the 28mm is the weak link in the line from what i see, though i dont have the 35mm. the xenon 50/1.9 and the 85/4.0 are the stars; the 135 is not far behind! i really am dying to try the 85mm on my 5d, as that is becoming my favorite focal length.

btw, i have also the voigtlander 35/3.5 skoparex that i have been using as well--it has a very slightly different mount, but with some finesse i can make it work with the adapter. i like the colors on that lens as well, but i need to use it more this spring for a proper comparison w the retinas. i would love to get a hold of a reasonably priced 40/2 skopagon...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but all of us have something to say in benefit of the others members, always.

Going to the retina's lenses, which 85 mm do you have? The tele arton 4/85 (schneider) or the Rotelar 4/85 (rodenstock). The second is a collector item. Don't sell Very Happy , any of them Wink

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the tele arton; i havent even seen the other one!