Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

oval moon - pentacon 300mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: oval moon - pentacon 300mm f/4 Reply with quote

Rushed to set this one up and unfortunately didn't get focus right on (or possibly the wind played a factor), so not quite as sharp as I would've liked. Shot at f/8 with the Pentacon, right after the moon came up. 5 more minutes would've been nice.

I'm wondering if anybody might have some tips for a tripod. I'm currently using the Manfrotto 055XPROb with Manfrotto 410 head. My 2 heaviest lenses are the Pentacon 300 and Pentacon 500 and I primarily shoot at exposures between 0.5 seconds and 1 second. This setup seems to be fairly inconsistent for me if there is any wind and a tripod seems like the most legitimate next investment (unless I want to buy lighter lenses!). Does anybody have some recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: oval moon - pentacon 300mm f/4 Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody might have some tips for a tripod. I'm currently using the Manfrotto 055XPROb with Manfrotto 410 head. My 2 heaviest lenses are the Pentacon 300 and Pentacon 500 and I primarily shoot at exposures between 0.5 seconds and 1 second. This setup seems to be fairly inconsistent for me if there is any wind and a tripod seems like the most legitimate next investment (unless I want to buy lighter lenses!). Does anybody have some recommendations?

It's actually quite a cool shot - nice work Wink

I too have the 055XPROB with 468MGRC2 hydrostatic ball head and find it to be great in certain situations - except when it's windy! Then it's just useless. I got a gift of the 028B legs and an 808RC4 head and that's really the mutt's nuts when it comes to stability. Plus, for that bit extra rigidity, I can hang my backpack from the centre without having to worry about the legs buckling. The only real downside to this combo over the 055/468 is the weight - it's pretty heavy to lug around on your shoulder for any length of time, and even with the shoulder strap, it's still a bit much...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tripods have a hook at the bottom of the vertical height adjusting tube. What you do is to tie some para-cord to the hook and on the other end, bottled water or some kind of weight. Yes, that means more setup time.

One of my photography mentors taught me that. He used to shoot a lot with his Hassy 500mm and got a few of these lenses off his friends for 'cheap' because they could not get any sharp photos from it. Turns out it was the tripod that was not stable Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shot!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, thinking about it more closely, I realized where the problem was. I extended the center shaft of the tripod, which I basically never do when using the heavier lenses, but was necessary this time because of the situation. I usually try to keep it as low to the ground as possible, but this time it just wasn't possible. I was also disappointed with the sharpness of the moon, but also realized that when it's this close to the horizon, atmospheric distortion is hard to avoid (hence the ovalness of the moon as well).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shot with quite an atmosphere
I don't think the sharpness is a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, sharpness is not a problem.
Excellent composition.
The moon looks like it falls onto the city.