Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My favorite Jupiter-9 photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: My favorite Jupiter-9 photos Reply with quote

Here is a sampling of my favorite photos taken with my Jupiter-9 85mm lens on my Canon Rebel XT (350D outside the U.S.A.).

This is one of the first lenses I bought a little more than a year ago after discovering mflenses.com and reading the posts and seeing the sample pictures from this marvelous lens. This is one of my favorite lenses, even though the focal length often seems a bit long with the small sensor of the XT. It isn't necessarily the sharpest lens I own, though some of these photos are very sharp, but it can produce some magical images.

This old (1982) Russian lens is a little stiff to focus in cold weather, but it gave me some nice results.

This is one of my absolute favorite photographs that I have taken so far. This is not my house. I just think it looks beautiful in the snow.

I took this picture on a day when I mostly used my Canon 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses. Though the AF lenses gave me some good photographs, this photo has a quality that I do not see in any of the Canon photos.

The following pictures are more recent. Either I have gotten better at focusing (practice makes perfect), or these subjects and/or lighting just suit the Jupiter-9, but I think these are the sharpest J-9 photos that I have. Though for these subjects I did make sure I kept the aperture down around f/4 to f/8, which helps a lot with sharpness.

Strangely, though this lens is seen as a great portrait lens, I haven't had much great success using it for portraits. Maybe I just need to use it more often. I have a couple other lenses which I like better for portraits and will show examples of them soon. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd pic ...that house which is not yours is beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice set - particularly #2. The wavy cactus is also very attractive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice stuff paul. i too love this lens; in fact, since moving to the ff 5d, this is becoming my favorite focal length.

i have had good luck with this for portraits, usually keeping it close to wide open softens up the image and dof--in fact, ive used it indoors w/o flash, hh, for some nice portraits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the not yours house picture, it is great. I think picture of fence is great too. Wonderful, thanks for share.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
nice stuff paul. i too love this lens; in fact, since moving to the ff 5d, this is becoming my favorite focal length.

i have had good luck with this for portraits, usually keeping it close to wide open softens up the image and dof--in fact, ive used it indoors w/o flash, hh, for some nice portraits.

My favorite portrait lenses right now are a 58mm Rokkor f/1.4 converted to EOS mount (unfortunately not the legendary f/1.2) which on the Rebel gives roughly the equivalent field of view as a 92mm lens on a full frame camera, and a Helios-40 85mm lens which is hard to accurately focus wide open on my camera, but otherwise is awesome. These are also my fastest lenses which produce the nicest background bokeh. I think I also purposely use these more for portraits. I generally like using lenses in the 50mm range for portraits with my camera. Pictures will follow soon. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #4, the old wood fence. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series! #2 is my favorite!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you should mention the Jupiter-9. Lately I've been shooting a lot with that lens. I found myself taking it along with me as if it was saying, "Use me, Use me, damnit!", so I have been.

Looks as if the Jupiter-9 family has been demanding that we all use them similarly! Wink

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those images are great. The house pic just edges it and would make a great Xmas card.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
I found myself taking it along with me as if it was saying, "Use me, Use me, damnit!", so I have been....
Looks as if the Jupiter-9 family has been demanding that we all use them similarly!

I don't see that the Jupiter-9 is demanding. It is more like, "Let me show you what beautiful things I can do with light!" Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAW-prints wrote:
lulalake wrote:
I found myself taking it along with me as if it was saying, "Use me, Use me, damnit!", so I have been....
Looks as if the Jupiter-9 family has been demanding that we all use them similarly!

I don't see that the Jupiter-9 is demanding. It is more like, "Let me show you what beautiful things I can do with light!" Very Happy

Mine is a bit more aggressive, and really doesn't care all that much about beauty as long as it has light in its glass.