Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-Takumar 1000/8 : shots + review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Tele-Takumar 1000/8 : shots + review Reply with quote

All is at f/8, handheld, between 400 and 800 isos during the shooting, up to +1EV in PP if needed, because the exposition with this lens is not regular :

First review, after this pseudo-series and some previous tests, translated from french by me (ask me if you're not understanding some points) :
- Construction : it is clearly massive (a massive photographing weapon Very Happy ), long, whatever you want. The focusing system is unusual, as it is a rail (said in the screwmount guide to be "rack and pignon focusing"), but its use is rather intuitive and allows a very smooth focus, as optical block doesn't move. I would have designed a wider rotation : focusing is not easy, because it turns for 2/3 a turn, associated with the very narrow dof and f/8.
- Use : I reach my limites for handheld use : the 500/4.5 can easily be handheld at 200 isos, whereas the 1000mm, with only f/8, requires some good sensibility. Classic exposure on a sunny day on leaves or foliage is about 1/1000s, 800 isos, f/8. The whole thing (lens+ody) is well balanced, but it is impossible to do the focus and shooting at the same time. I can personnaly use the lens handheld about 15 minutes before handshaking begins to be too important to obtain good results, but I would understand people saying they need a tripod (even more without stabilization). We can add a small extension tube or an helicoid if we don't need infinity. A 5mm long extension tube should allow focusing up to approximatively 300m.
- Rendering : I'm quite impressioned by what can this lens designed 45 years ago achieve. It had been used at f/8 only, it is not razor sharp as the 135/2.5 V2 can be at f/2.5, but details are there and we can expect very good results stopped down. Colors, contrast are generally good, without being extraordinary (may a S-M-C would be better ?). Concerning the bokeh, I had various things. Sometimes very smooth, sometimes less, altough pleasant, sometimes colorful at border (disturbing, as #10 for example). I'll need take more pictures to determine what is the dominant bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum, between f/45 and f/16 :

Yes, my sensor in the crappiest in the world Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! very good results from the monster
I guess lot of sensors look like that at f45