Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Spotmatic F
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Pentax Spotmatic F Reply with quote

How much is this used camera worth generally?. It included a 50mm SMC Takumar, an Opticam 35mm f2.8 and a 135mm (not Takumar). Is approx. $50 a good price or too expensive?

Anyone with this model had problem with PX625 battery replacement (1.35V vs 1.5V of alkaline replacement)?

Thanks for info

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great price for the cmera and lenses. Take it!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SPF, unlike the earlier SPs, can cope with modern 1.5v batteries perfectly. I would recommend the silver oxide ones (SR44) over alkali, purely because they last much longer with more stable output, but both work OK. You will need to find something to keep the new batteries centred in the compartment because they are a lot smaller and can short out. I use a small rubber grommet.

Hope you enjoy it! Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC 50, 1.4 or 1.8? Some 50/1.4 with mint condition asks US$50 higher.
Good deal.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Good deal.

Mike, there are no 1.8/50 Takumars. All 50mm Taks are 1.4 (or 4.0 for the macro lens) and all 1.8s are 55mm.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
djmike wrote:
Good deal.

Mike, there are no 1.8/50 Takumars. All 50mm Taks are 1.4 (or 4.0 for the macro lens) and all 1.8s are 55mm.

Peter, thanks for correction. Yes, 50/1.4 is sharp but some prefer 55/1.8 which has lower price (and is still sharp).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related (same?) question so hope it's ok that I write it here instead of starting a new topic.

How much is a Spotmatic F in reasonable cosmetic condition worth? The reason I ask is that I'm in the market for such camera (with Asahi writen on it) for both display and use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spots and their m42 siblings are the Jeeps of the SLR world ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauge wrote:
I have a related (same?) question so hope it's ok that I write it here instead of starting a new topic.

How much is a Spotmatic F in reasonable cosmetic condition worth? The reason I ask is that I'm in the market for such camera (with Asahi writen on it) for both display and use.

Look on the auction sites and keep putting in chance bids. Eventually you'll win one. You may be lucky and get one for $20-30. One in very good cosmetic condition will be double that and black ones go for 3 figures.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm looking for a silver top and as long as it isn't all rusty the condition is good enough for me (normal wear and tear and dents I don't mind) so around $40 would be a reasonable price?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
The Spots and their m42 siblings are the Jeeps of the SLR world ...

The Spotties maybe but the AP, S, K & SV are way more sleek as are some of those Auto-Tak lenses. For example, the Super Tak 35mm/SMC 35mm f3.5 lenses are HUGE compared to the Auto Tak 35mm f3.5.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax Spotmatic F Reply with quote

aniramca wrote:
How much is this used camera worth generally?. It included a 50mm SMC Takumar, an Opticam 35mm f2.8 and a 135mm (not Takumar). Is approx. $50 a good price or too expensive?

Anyone with this model had problem with PX625 battery replacement (1.35V vs 1.5V of alkaline replacement)?

Thanks for info

This body supports open aperture metering with most S-M-C and SMC Takumar lenses. It does with the Adaptall lenses as well as long as the correct m42 mount is used.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The SPF, unlike the earlier SPs, can cope with modern 1.5v batteries perfectly.

The light meter in my SPII works flawlessly with modern batteries. I still compare the reading to my digital cam sometimes, and it is never more than 0.5 stop off. Which is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
peterqd wrote:
The SPF, unlike the earlier SPs, can cope with modern 1.5v batteries perfectly.

The light meter in my SPII works flawlessly with modern batteries. I still compare the reading to my digital cam sometimes, and it is never more than 0.5 stop off. Which is good enough for me.

I think we've had this discussion before. The meter circuit in the SP and the SPII is specifically designed to use a 1.35v battery. A 1.5v battery will give a higher current through the meter and make the needle rise too high at correct settings, so if you centre the needle as normal you end up with underexposure. If your camera is working perfectly with a 1.5v battery then you are fortunate, I would guess the shutter speeds are running a little slow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

I think we've had this discussion before. The meter circuit in the SP and the SPII is specifically designed to use a 1.35v battery. A 1.5v battery will give a higher current through the meter and make the needle rise too high at correct settings, so if you centre the needle as normal you end up with underexposure. If your camera is working perfectly with a 1.5v battery then you are fortunate, I would guess the shutter speeds are running a little slow.

Yes, I should have been a bit more precise in what I said:

Outdoors during daylight it is working very well, but indoors or at night, the metering is off indeed. Which is fine for my purposes.

Maybe the higher current leads to underexposure, but the aging of the light-sensitive cell leads to decreased sensitivity? Those effects might balance each other out then?

Edit: I just ordered an adapter from the Small Battery Company in the UK. I plan to bring my Spotmatic in for a cleaning and adjustment, so I might as well ensure then that the light meter gets the correct voltage.