Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Price check on a Nikkor H 85/1.8 non-AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Price check on a Nikkor H 85/1.8 non-AI Reply with quote

I just spotted this lens at a local dealer, described with minor cleaning marks and slightly stiff focusing, sold with original caps and hood for 80€. I just reserved it, and will probably pick it up later today or tomorrow, hoping it will mount on my Pentax DSLR (as many non-AI lenses do).

Reading around it looks like one of the best fast short telephoto lenses ever made, with some people preferring it to the 90mm Summicron, even allowing for the lack of multicoating (not an HC, just H).

Is this a decent price? What can you tell me about this lens?

Picture of the lens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, more less same than Jupiter-9. It has low contrast nice on blond model. Price is fine.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/nikon_nikkor/nikkor_h_85mm_f1_8/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. It was my first 85mm lens and its very nice, but don't waste it on a Pentax DSLR. Go buy yourself a nikon FM2.

That said, I've also had the SMC Takumar 85/1.8 ... and that is still a better lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this lens and really enjoy it. I got mine super cheap on the local classifieds so I wouldn't be a good judge on price.

Here is a shot I took with mine that I really like. I did have to bump the contrast a bit to get it to look like it does in real life. This was taken at f4.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of my favourite lenses!
Much better than the Jupiter-9, esp. wide open.
Go for it! The price is great even with some minor cleaning marks.
This will only be an issue for re-sale, but you won't sell this lens again. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keltzar wrote:
I have one. It was my first 85mm lens and its very nice, but don't waste it on a Pentax DSLR. Go buy yourself a nikon FM2.

I dont think this Pre AI (I prefer to call it that and not "Non AI") Lens would mount on FM2. One needs the original FM or FE to mount this lens. It would also mount on single digit Pro bodies till the F4 without modification and on F5 with a factory modification which is no longer available. All these models have a "flip up" meter coupling lever.

Anyway, there are lot of user experiences of mounting Pre-Ai glasses directly on Pentax DSLRs with success. I agree that this is a fine piece of glass and one of my very successful photographer friend uses this lens till today for as varied genre as Potraiture, Industrial, Fashion and Landsacape on both Crop DSLRs and Film.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative replies. Smile

I got the lens tonight heading back from the office, and for once the description was worse than the actual item (but then this is probably the best store in Italy, and one of the best in Europe): the cleaning marks are there but they are not deep, circular cleaning marks not scratches, and they are only visible from behind pointing the lens at a bright light. Focusing is not as smooth as a Takumar, but very usable. And the lens mounts on my *istD, it's a tight fit and it does not turn very far, but it feels very solid.

I will probably thin the bayonet a bit and drill a small hole for the bayonet lock, but I already took a couple of shots and everything seems fine, including focusing to infinity. The only problem is there's no space to fit some alu foil to short the autofocus contact, so I have to rely on the viewfinder only. But I have a split screen on the other body, and a Canon EG-S cut to size on this one, so it's manageable.

The original caps and hood are also a nice touch. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick test as soon as I got home tonight, a pretty crappy photo but given the amount of front light I'm pretty satisfied by how the old Nikkor behaved at full aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works!!! Smile Nice score, I think you will be happy with this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
It works!!! Smile Nice score, I think you will be happy with this lens.

Yup, it definitely works. Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice really! Enjoy this great lens!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is OK, and the lens is a nice one. I have a black multi-coated version of this lens, and it's great.