Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice, please, on these lenses...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Advice, please, on these lenses... Reply with quote

I'm looking at three lenses and would appreciate any comments from those having experience with any of these. A "good price" target will also be appreciated.

Pentacon 300mm f/4
Pentor 100mm f/2,8
Takumar 85mm f/1.9

I look for better than average lenses. I know the Takumar 85mm f/1.4 is a superior lens; how does the f/1.9 compare? The Pentacon 300mm looks huge. The Pentor name I'm not familiar with. Thanks much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there isn't a Takumar 85mm f/1.4. Takumars came in f/1.8 and f/1.9 varieties. The f/1.8 version goes for more than the f/1.9. The f/1.9 regularly fetches premium prices, expect to pay $250 for one in good condition.

Sorry, I cannot help with the other lenses.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 300mm f4 heavy well built with excellent image quality.

I had 85mm f1.8 and 85mm 1.9 both I didn't see any difference.

Pentor is unknown, can you show a picture?

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/takumar/smc_takumar_85mm_f1_8_m42/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/takumar/super_takumar_85mm_f1_9/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_300/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takumar 85 1.9 is sharp only when stopped down few clicks, but the bokeh is awesome opened

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egidio wrote:
takumar 85 1.9 is sharp only when stopped down few clicks, but the bokeh is awesome opened

Wasn't the sharpness issue deliberate? It was intended as a portrait lens for which biting sharpness wide open wasn't seen as a positive thing. Awesome bokeh is a definite plus for a portrait lens too Smile

K.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been slowly collecting the preferred Myer Optik Lenses including the telephoto lenses from the 4/200 up to the super telephoto 5.6/500.

First off...make sure the lens is multi-coating with the lettering MC.

If your looking for a 300mm rather then the Meyer Optik Collection,I would recommend the Zeiss Sonnar 4/300 MC over the Meyer Optik Orestegor.

BTW I paid $87 US for the 4/300 from a photographer in Kansas City,but they usually go for considerably more.

While the Pentacon 4/300 is a well built lens,it is somewhat large and cumbersome requiring at the least a monopod to use.Mounted on a tripod makes the lens more user friendly and this is my preferred way to use the lens.

Whatever you do...don't get the Pentacon 5.6/500...this lens dwarfs the big 4/300....and should really only be mounted on a large solid tripod...though I have used it on a monopod on rare occasions,it's royal pain in the arse for monopod use....the only reason I keep mine is it completes the collection.

A 300mm comparison here including the Penatcon 4/300.... http://www.pbase.com/sparky14/300mm_lens_test

4/300 monopod mounted at ISO 200 @ 320 sec,probably close to wide open.

5.6/500 monopod mounted ISO 1600 @ 500 sec wide open,I remember not being to steady in this shot,shooting uphill to the garden,causing this leviathan to want to swing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look too bad, Boomer. In the tests the Pentacon compares well with the Canon except for CA. I'm considering one for about $175.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$175 is about a $100 less then the BIN prices on ebay...I was quite surprised by the tests as well....one other note,typically Meyer Optik lenses were designed to be well corrected for chromatic abberation...for close up shots,the 300mm and 500mm do quite well,distance shots are not their fortay....though there are those on the internet,who dispute this saying the 300mm and 500mm do well at great distances....