Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ancient Pentax lens ! And Minolta too !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Ancient Pentax lens ! And Minolta too ! Reply with quote

I found this curiosity in ebay- of course -

This is the lens and shutter from an Auto Press Minolta, quite a rare camera, from about 1937-early 1940's, definitely made pre WWII or during WWII, as it is marked "Nippon" and "Patent-Nippon" and the Auto Press was not made post-war.

The Auto Press Minolta was a copy of the Plaubel Makina.

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki?title=Auto_Press_Minolta&redirect=no

This "Crown-Rapid" shutter was made by Chiyoda, later renamed Minolta to match the camera trademark. Its a copy of the Compur-Rapid.

But the lens ? That "Promar" was designed and made by Asahi, yes, that Asahi, which at the time was entirely a lens-manufacturer. Chiyoda/Minolta bought a lot of lenses from Asahi, many of them branded "Promar".

So this 4-element Tessar-type 3.5/105 lens for a 6x9 copy of a Plaubel Makina is an ancestor of all the Takumar and Pentax lines.

The Crown-Rapid shutter doesn't work, and I don't feel like rebuilding a Compur-clone, I am not good at watch-repair. The lens though is very clear and in great shape, I just need some new plastic body caps to mount more lenses. I'll also probably try it on the Speed Graphic, as that has a focal plane shutter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for this rare gem! ... and for lot of details about this lens!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed interesting item. Congrats for the excellent research job on the lens history.

Cheers, Marty.