Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I love my Flektogon 35mm 2.4, what else can I look for?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: I love my Flektogon 35mm 2.4, what else can I look for? Reply with quote

I picked up my Flektogon 35mm again after some time this weekend while in London, and though I did have almost no time for shooting (my daughter had a nasty flu), I was amazed by the quality this lens has: simply mounting it on the camera and looking through the viewfinder I can see a difference with my other lenses. Scenes looked at through the Flek are crisp, detailed, with brilliant colours and lots of contrast in the right places. Now I remember why I loved this lens so much.

I don't own that many lenses, I think I have 15 or 20, and though some are cheap most are decent quality, but I don't think I have another one that impresses me like the Flek (the Flektogon 20mm f4 that I have leaves me a bit cold for example). So now I'm thinking that instead of trying different lenses like I've done up to now, I should concentrate on finding a couple that have similar characteristics to the Flek 35: I'd like a reasonably fast 50/55m, a 24/28mm, and possibly a short tele (I have 4 100mm already, but I think the Nikon 100 2.5 non-AI might be what I am looking for).

Have you got any suggestions on what I should look for? I hate to think it (for budget reasons mainly), but I'm starting to think that maybe Leica R lenses are what I should look for. Unless the zebra Pancolar I got last week (which needs some relubing) manages to surprise me.

A couple of not so good pics from this weekend which express some of the things I love in the Flek, both are preview jpegs from my *istD (no time to develop the raw files), resized with almost no pp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, great portrait!
the flek 35 is a normal lens on your *istD and it is appropriate for this kind of portrait
if it impress you, work it more and more
I have so much lenses that impress me and not enough time to enjoy them
sometimes I wish I had only one lens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have beautiful women in your life. a great lens to capture them is a must. i think you have found it ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can you look for?
I constantly look for good photo subject. Wink

If you want the best quality, go for Leica, Zeiss, Nikkor or Zuiko.
Pentax/Takumar, Yashica and Carl Zeiss Jena are also nice.

Wait, you've got a Pentax, right?
OK, you need an expensive special adapter for Leica lenses. Well...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the kind comments.

LucisPictor wrote:
If you want the best quality, go for Leica, Zeiss, Nikkor or Zuiko.
Pentax/Takumar, Yashica and Carl Zeiss Jena are also nice.

Ehm, I hoped for something a bit more specific. Smile

I'm looking for lenses with a behaviour and rendering (sharpness, color, contrast, etc.) as similar as possible to the Flek 35, not just "good lenses". I have a few of those, but somehow the Flek always seems much better to me than anything else I tried.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A leica adapter, yes, and an Elmarit 2,8/35 (if you want, and elmarit 2,8/90 too). And if you want to ad a luxury lens, ad the 3,4/180 APO telyt. If you like to do, can ad the old telyt 500.

It's very difficult to know when the last word had been said.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
A leica adapter, yes, and an Elmarit 2,8/35 (if you want, and elmarit 2,8/90 too). And if you want to ad a luxury lens, ad the 3,4/180 APO telyt. If you like to do, can ad the old telyt 500.

Well, I already have a 35mm I love, I don't need another one (but maybe a second copy of the same sometimes in the future, in case something happens to this one). Smile

I was looking for a 50/55mm, a 24/28mm, and maybe an 80/100mm.

What do people say about the old Nikkor 50mm? I might "borrow" one from my girlfriend's old Nikkormat, and it will probably fit on my Pentax.

Last edited by ludoo on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you could be backing yourself into the Zeiss corner Laughing

The Planar 1.4/50 is another of those "wow" lenses like the Flektogon, and the Distagon 2/28 would my first choice in the 24/28mm bracket.

However, there are many other options available to you: the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1.4/50 is a wonderful lens, and my current favourite 50-something is the Nikkor-S 1.4/50. It's got that wow factor you like. Two 28s I've used and loved are the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 3.5/28 and Kiron 2/28.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots of your family at the Natural History Museum, Ludoo. It was a great idea to take your daughter there. What did she think about the Diplodocus? Smile

About the lenses, I think for your Pentax camera you should concentrate on PK and M42 lenses. That way you'll only need one cheap adapter. If you like the Flektogon I think the other CZJ lenses and the prime Takumars (not the zooms) will all suit you perfectly. The 135/3.5 CZJ S is a super lens and very easy to find. In the Takumars, the 28/3.5, 85/1.9 and 135/3.5 will give you a great start. Also the 55/1.8 if you don't take to the Pancolar, but I think you will. I don't think you'll find many other lenses with the close focussing of the Flek unless you go for a macro lens, for instance the Takumar 4.0/50 Macro.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 50ish lenses I like my S-M-C 1.8/55 Tak, Helios 44-2 or the original Biotar,

For around 80-90mm try a M39 mount Jupiter 9.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great replies! Smile

Mal1905 wrote:
Seems like you could be backing yourself into the Zeiss corner Laughing

Yes I think so too. Smile

Quote:
The Planar 1.4/50 is another of those "wow" lenses like the Flektogon, and the Distagon 2/28 would my first choice in the 24/28mm bracket.

I stupidly missed buying one when a local used store sold a batch of them (Planars) for 50 euros each a while ago. But I still am unsure if I want (and have the funds, probably not) to switch to Canon, or go to the hassle of adapting the lens mount.

Quote:
However, there are many other options available to you: the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1.4/50 is a wonderful lens, and my current favourite 50-something is the Nikkor-S 1.4/50. It's got that wow factor you like. Two 28s I've used and loved are the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 3.5/28 and Kiron 2/28.

I had a Super Takumar 50 1.4 and it did not impress me much, but I understand the SMC is a different lens, will probably keep my eyes open for one. I had the Kiron 28/2 too and traded it for a Jupiter-9 (which is now in pieces), I probably should have used it more before thinking of giving it away. The Nikkor sounds interesting, what is its going price?

peterqd wrote:
Lovely shots of your family at the Natural History Museum, Ludoo. It was a great idea to take your daughter there. What did she think about the Diplodocus? Smile

Hah, she had a nasty flu so she was not at her best, but she absolutely loved the museum, especially the animated T-Rex.

Quote:
About the lenses, I think for your Pentax camera you should concentrate on PK and M42 lenses. That way you'll only need one cheap adapter. If you like the Flektogon I think the other CZJ lenses and the prime Takumars (not the zooms) will all suit you perfectly. The 135/3.5 CZJ S is a super lens and very easy to find. In the Takumars, the 28/3.5, 85/1.9 and 135/3.5 will give you a great start. Also the 55/1.8 if you don't take to the Pancolar, but I think you will. I don't think you'll find many other lenses with the close focussing of the Flek unless you go for a macro lens, for instance the Takumar 4.0/50 Macro.

Ehm, I have a Sonnar 135 (which I traded with a Gossen Profisix some time ago) but never used it yet. Smile I'm convinced it's a great lens, I just do not seem to find the right moment for its longish focal length. I hope to be able to clean and lube the Pancolar this weekend, and to really like it.

As for the SMC Tak 55/1.8, I bought a cheap one that had some fungus and managed to clean it: its colors are nice, but it does not have the wow factor of the Flek, and it's less sharp.

I almost never shoot macro so the minimum focusing distance is not an issue for me, but the maximum aperture is as I often shoot in low light. I am also thinking of giving a cheap Zuiko 50/1.8 a try, any impressions compared to the other 50s mentioned above?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
For 50ish lenses I like my S-M-C 1.8/55 Tak, Helios 44-2 or the original Biotar,

For around 80-90mm try a M39 mount Jupiter 9.

I have the 55/1.8 and as I wrote above (you posted while I was writing my reply Smile ) I quite like it, but I don't find it as sharp as the Flek, and it has a more subdued presentation. My Helios 44-2 is nasty, and seems quite similar to the Tak but on a lesser scale. I like the 44-6, but it's quite prone to flare which is a big no-no. A Biotar would be nice, but they are a bit on the expensive side, I should sell some of the lenses I never use and raise some cash...

As for the J-9 mine is in pieces, I need to find a way to replace the small screw that transmits the aperture movement: I'll ask my dentist tomorrow if he can use one of his special tiny screws, and hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow night. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam also "in love" with the CZJ Flektogon 2,4/35 but I also love the distagon 2,8/35 my one is a bit sharper in terms of infinity focus.
Other lenses I like for sharpness & contrast are the leica Summicron 50 (especially the old version gives high contrast wide open and has a very soft bokeh), the leica summicron 90, and the leica elmarit 180.

At least I think most Zeiss and Leica primes should fullfill your expectations to be sharp and contrasty.

Timo