Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

Loads of stuff turned up at work today including my new Canon FD 50mm f1.4. Really pleased but need to get out my garden and get some decent shots in good light.

Here are the quick test pics:
At f1.4 - focus was on the nose. No PP

At f8. No PP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens for less money. I paid for mine 14,00 € in best condition.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably the least expensive i think. Olympus are also pretty good prices too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Canon FD lenses adapt to EOS bodies? I was under the impression that they would not. I think I have this lens on a film body...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea I'm afraid. I think i heard that there were problems. Best look for a FD to EOS adapter and see if there are any available. I'm sure there must be by now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Will Canon FD lenses adapt to EOS bodies? I was under the impression that they would not. I think I have this lens on a film body...

Not adaptable, but convertible!
Some of the old FD lenses are superb. But the costs of a conversion, if you are not familiar with the neccessary craftmanship are to expensiv for such a 50mm lens.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sorry to disagree with henry, who has forgotten more about cameras than i will ever know, but i myself have an fd>ef converter and use it with my vivitar 17-35mm. because the adapter comes with a lens attached, i believe it adds a 1.2 crop factor--50mm fd lens will be 60mm on 5d full frame.

Last edited by rbelyell on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 kinds of FD->EOS adapter.

The original Canon made ones are very very rare, and were designed and sold to professionals, and work with telephoto lenses from about 200mm.

Third party adapters exist too, with and without optics. Without, and you will never reach infinity, and with optics, you lose image quality, and about 1-stop.

The best option is to modify you camera:
http://www.colorbroken.com/subdermis/canonFD60.html

Then you get access to great lenses, for a fraction of the price on EOS.[/list]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:

The best option is to modify you camera:
http://www.colorbroken.com/subdermis/canonFD60.html

OK, I have a couple of wrong-mount cameras (Minolta mount 20D, Oly mount SD14), but that effort is totally insane. Bravo!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to opine that the 'best' option is to spend $40usd on an adapter and deal with the small limitations that presents.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More test images to show the sharpness:

Here are some tests in even poorer light but ON A TRIPOD!!!

Much better! Super sharp Smile

100%

Glass on table:

It's a KEEPER!! Woop woop!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i am sorry to disagree with henry, who has forgotten more about cameras than i will ever know, but i myself have an fd>ef converter and use it with my vivitar 17-35mm. because the adapter comes with a lens attached, i believe it adds a 1.2 crop factor--50mm fd lens will be 60mm on 5d full frame.

Why you disagree? I was talking about Conversion not adapting FD Mount lenses. Thats the only way to use this lenses on Canon cams without adaptors, the either gets bad IQ or let you only use the FD lenses for macro work.. you have to clear the register distance !

Did you read this documentation i did wrote.. ?

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-1-2-55mm-s-s-c-eos-conversion-documentation-t24118.html

And with Google translate maybe you are interested in the whole
dokumentation.. sorry, but only in german language..

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?12322-Canon-FD-1.2-55mm-SSC-Umbaudoku..

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw-

Nice pick-up. Love seeing others taking advantage of the massive m4/3 compatibility. I have had my eye on an FD 50 1.4 and you may have convinced me, though now the 1.2 is even more enticing!

Regarding that FD60, thats great. I agree rbelyell, probably far more trouble and a minute gain rather than the just using an adapter. Still, the thought of a digital camera with a native FD mount is in a stange way exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Yeah f1.2's are next on my shopping list. They really are amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapters do sound limiting. I can deal with the loss of a stop but the added glass would certainly degrade lens performance. Wondering what the furthest focus didtance would be with the glassless (extenion tube) type of adapter. IOW, could I shoot head and shoulders portraits?

I am far too non mechanical to attempt camera surgery! Plus I make my living with my camera.

I admire those (like Henry) who have such skills. Bravo!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw wrote:
Thanks

Yeah f1.2's are next on my shopping list. They really are amazing!

I have one of the "standard" nFD 50/1.2's

I'll try to get some tests shot soon.