Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Removing flare
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Removing flare Reply with quote

I need some help! I use PS3 and Canon's DPP Viewer module for CR2 files.

1 How do you remove flare? Is it the levels sliders?

2 How do you save and implement a standard procedure (like a Word macro)?

I keep reading it's easy to remove flare but I must be doing something wrong I think. My Mir-24M is quite flary sunwards and I often have to do this job. It would save me hours if I knew the answer to No 2!! Smile

See what you can do with this file and tell me how you did it please:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

hopefully you allow me to show my sample of your image

If you have only a little amount of flare like in your sample I use the copy stamp (I´m not sure that this is the right word in English because I own the German version). I have done it here.

Then exposure correction, some tone gradients, maybe a little bit more colour, sharpening ( i use absolute sharpening).

Then resizing (not necessary here) with additional sharpening, saving and at least a little bit additional sharpening with DPP at the end of process.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flare is difficult to correct, I always forget hood and I got flared today

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Poilu, you have right. Best is to prevent flare.
With your sample here it is more hopeless to remove it with PP
Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf, that's better but it seems quite a long-winded process. Can it be automated?

Poilu, I wish I could find a 58mm hood that suits the Mir. I bought a nice metal one from Germany recently on Orio's tip - it's supposed to be suitable for 35mm but it vignettes. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask RJ he probable has a hood to fit. If a regular vignettes you probable want a wide angle hood. He has both types. They are metal and screw into the filter threads.

I have seven coming from him now. He has been good to do business with.

Send a message to him and ask.
http://stores.ebay.com/RJ-camera-accessory-store?_rdc=1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody else knows how to remove flare or make a "recipe" in PS?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, wait for CS5. There is feature included which is called content-aware fill.
It seems to work like a charm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty crazy what it does in the last pano Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten. What I want to do is get rid of the misty effect. I'm not too bothered about the green sun reflection. I called the misty effect "flare", maybe I should have used a different word, "glare" perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that it can't be automated.
You can not set up an action or a brush to do that.
Just by hand, pixel by pixel if necessary.
You can use the healing tool also.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Thanks Carsten. What I want to do is get rid of the misty effect. I'm not too bothered about the green sun reflection. I called the misty effect "flare", maybe I should have used a different word, "glare" perhaps?

Ah, OK. I think it's also called "flare", Peter. So, don't worry.
You should be able to cope with that using the level and curve functions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That glare/flare would be difficult to remove with automation. The amount of curves & sharpening would vary too much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I simply use the middle slider in levels at the moment, this is the result:

I didn't actually want to use automation for this, that was a separate question! I can use the Save & Load buttons in Levels to apply a "recipe". What I want to know is how to record and apply a series of actions on a batch of files, for instance resizing, using a keyboard shortcut or similar. I know how to do it in DPP but not in PS. I'm sure it's possible, but I can't find it in Help.