Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Arista Premium 400 and Yashica Lynx samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Arista Premium 400 and Yashica Lynx samples Reply with quote

The film: first roll of Arista Premium 400, souped in 1-4 Tmax.
The kit: Yashica Lynx 14E IC, Yashinon-DX 45/1.4, Epson V300 scanner.
(I tried the changing bag thing again; dimpled several negatives of good shots; NEVER AGAIN! Evil or Very Mad )
All shots handheld.

Day lillies before sunrise:

Red dirt and kudzo:

Sawhorse still life:

Jon boats in early morning:

Guard duty:

Riverside coal yard:

Last edited by fish4570 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fabulous results! Nice contrasty images, need to try TMAX developer.

I could never use a changing bag, my hands get claustrophic! Laughing
Surely there's a closet you can light-tight in your little bungalow...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill.
I just did not want to wait until night. I ended up having to cover the bathroom door in towels to get the film on the reel, out of the stoopid changing bag. Embarassed Shocked
I will keep the bag, but only for stuck cameras and film retrieval and such. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get the bathroom renovation done, there is a tiny travel trailer bathroom in the middle part of our cabin that I will make into a darkroom. As of now, it holds all of my hunting stuff. I don't have much need of that any more ... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a little cubicle of some sort to spool film is the only way to go IMHO.
You also don't have to worry about lint/threads getting in the mix like you
do with a changing bag.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye ... Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one with the daylilies is really good! Shocked

When I first looked at it, my eyes were picking out all of the details in the background.. the buildings, reflections, etc. The daylilies were dark enough that I didn't really notice them. Then, *bam*, I saw them... and they're so much "closer" perceptually that I actually pulled my head back!

People always point out pictures that have a "3D look" or a sense of depth... but it's a completely different story when it surprises you. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That is quite a compliment ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, that first shot is crackin'!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill. I think it one of my favorites ever ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is all your own work then congrats on the results you can achieve....and the next challenge is Medium format B/W eh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ex. Yes, 't'is mine.
A medium format TLR is on the way for me to try out.
I have loaded my first Neopan Acros in one of my slrs on a tripod. It will be nice to see what a slower film can do. A tripod is absolutely necessary for DOF with my hand tremors. The more fired up I get, the shakier they get, and the finer the dexterity needed, the shakier as well. Gotta be an endorfin/adrenaline thing.
But it is ALL good ... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Thanks, Ex. Yes, 't'is mine.
A medium format TLR is on the way for me to try out.
I have loaded my first Neopan Acros in one of my slrs on a tripod. It will be nice to see what a slower film can do. A tripod is absolutely necessary for DOF with my hand tremors. The more fired up I get, the shakier they get, and the finer the dexterity needed, the shakier as well. Gotta be an endorfin/adrenaline thing.
But it is ALL good ... Laughing

When I was into B/W I'd go to the next challenge which for me was large prints, didn't have large trays or the room to use them but placed the print in a plastic drum (plastic tube with two capped ends) and rolled it along the floor.
Anyway I liked the results e.g.:-

Digital shot (erm the flash went off) of my print with glasses to show size

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a print.
I hope to have use of a darkroom at the school where I work when classes start again. I will have to stock it myself with an enlarger and other kit.
I much enjoyed printing 30 and more years ago, almost as much as the shot itself ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Printing is the best part, if darkroom joy is 100% then printing is at least 90% of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Wow, what a print.
I hope to have use of a darkroom at the school where I work when classes start again. I will have to stock it myself with an enlarger and other kit.
I much enjoyed printing 30 and more years ago, almost as much as the shot itself ...

After about 20 year gap I recently loaded up the RB67 with some old FP4 and took some shots and the results were crap, well I blame this new promicrol developer...well I would wouldn't I.. Embarassed

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/495/champion-promicrol-film-developer-1-litre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like that developer might be a copy of Tmax, the way the blurb is written.
So, I think you rightly discerned the issue here, because skills cannot possibly have changed in two decades ... Cool