Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

praktica duds; what caused this? shutter issue?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: praktica duds; what caused this? shutter issue? Reply with quote

vivitar 135/2.8:

spiratone 400/6.3:

400/6.3; this one would have been soooooo cool:

what gives?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light leak? which end of the film?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a light leak. Fit some new seals and give it a try or just put some black tape around the door.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: praktica duds; what caused this? shutter issue? Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
400/6.3; this one would have been soooooo cool:

Does this help any?

Or this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, there.
Looks like light leak from side of the film door. Time to reseal, or as Martin suggested black electrical insulating tape around film door. This would remove any doubt before pulling the toolbox or sending out.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe shutter not working correctly?

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these things are scattered all over the whole strip of film, kind of randomly. the little rope looking seals LOOK fine. it it's a leak, i suspect the hinge area. will investigate. i just hate to waste another roll of film to check ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and thanks for clening up that image. barge tows pass every day, so i can shoot again, but i did like that shot ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked at a negative strip that show a light streak over the abutting ends of two frames. this probably means the occasional leak is at the hinge side, if that is what it is ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took the praktica into the dark bathroom, held it open on bulb, and stuck a tactical flashlight into the opening (it was a snug fit). i saw no light leaking from around the back ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had better taken a led light to check on light leaks. Flash is too short for the eye to be sure I think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a flash. this is a tactical LED flashlight with a very bright stream of constant white light. the british call flashlights torches, i think ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a light leak in my yashica that struck at random...if I used the film fast it would generally work well...but who wants to rush while using the camera Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since it is a vertical-running shutter, the issue has to be light leak ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
since it is a vertical-running shutter, the issue has to be light leak ...

I agree, I don't feel the shutter is involved in this at all, and the string seals in Prakticas don't deteriorate like foam. In the pic of the barge, the leak is on the right side of the camera (looking at the back) and the bright spot is at the top, which makes me suspect the light is entering where there is a break in the seal for the frame counter release. The bright strip is probably where the film is not masked by the pressure plate and it is being fogged between the plate and the take-up spool, after you wind on to the next frame.

Also check that the latch is holding the door tightly closed - it might need adjusting. Do you keep the camera in a case when you're not using it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a drawer or out in the open if loaded ...