Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-converters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Tele-converters Reply with quote

I had intended to ask the folks here about tele-converters before making any purchase, but then saw two M42 2x tele-converters on ebay for $9.99 - one Vivitar and one Soligor. I put in the opening bid not expecting to get it, but no one else bid. That's not a good sign; I suppose I have just bought junk. So now the question: Which converters are worthwhile and don't kill lens performance? The one I had back in the 70's was pretty bad. I think I may now have two more of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele-converters Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I had intended to ask the folks here about tele-converters before making any purchase, but then saw two M42 2x tele-converters on ebay for $9.99 - one Vivitar and one Soligor. I put in the opening bid not expecting to get it, but no one else bid. That's not a good sign; I suppose I have just bought junk. So now the question: Which converters are worthwhile and don't kill lens performance? The one I had back in the 70's was pretty bad. I think I may now have two more of them.

I recently tested several and the safest bets were Soviet KOHBEPTEP (or something like that) and East German converters. At least if you use APS-C camera.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do make very nice extension tubes if you knock the glass out Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele-converters Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Hi there,

I bought a Vivitar Automatic TC 2x-1 for some Euros mainly to screw up my Vivitar tele-zoom to a nearly 1:1 ratio for macros. This works relatively well, in terms of IQ the performance (resolution) drops of course and the combination is a lot more prone to purple fringing, but for doing a quick'n'dirty ultra-tele-shot or on-the-fly macro this works for me ok (the goal is that i don't have to carry both a dedicated macro and ultra tele lens, the Vivitar is heavy enough Wink ).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele-converters Reply with quote

westromat wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Hi there,

I bought a Vivitar Automatic TC 2x-1 for some Euros mainly to screw up my Vivitar tele-zoom to a nearly 1:1 ratio for macros. This works relatively well, in terms of IQ the performance (resolution) drops of course and the combination is a lot more prone to purple fringing, but for doing a quick'n'dirty ultra-tele-shot or on-the-fly macro this works for me ok (the goal is that i don't have to carry both a dedicated macro and ultra tele lens, the Vivitar is heavy enough Wink ).

Well I bought a Viv 70-150mm and with it was a matched Viv 2Xs extender......well I tried it with a Canon FD 135mm and Vivitar 135mm, and the Canon results were OK and I would say the viv was good (not razor sharp).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By reputation, the Kiron 7-element (also sold as a Vivitar) and the Komura Telemore are supposed to be some of the better ones.

On your lenses, practically speaking, who knows. Try what you have.

Practically, all are going to be at least a bit disappointing unless you stop down. That said, even the most unlikely ones can give very sharp results at a lens aperture of f/8 (effective f/16 on a 2X).

TC's are not in great demand now and huge numbers were made back in the day, so they can be had effectively for free in lots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Practically, all are going to be at least a bit disappointing unless you stop down. That said, even the most unlikely ones can give very sharp results at a lens aperture of f/8 (effective f/16 on a 2X).

It all depends. If one is shooting with APS-C, and has rock solid lens to use with the teleconverter, wide open is not any kind of problem. But I must emphasise that having a rock solid (prime) lens is very important. And of course the choice of teleconverter is just as important.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 3x and it's not really useable. Ok for fun but not for serious shots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tele-converters Reply with quote

Anu wrote:

I recently tested several and the safest bets were Soviet KOHBEPTEP (or something like that) and East German converters. At least if you use APS-C camera.

+1
After testing some in M42 Mount, this was the one which works best IMHO.

If i use a TC, i take my Leica TC but thats another Level of performance and price.

The following shots all wide open.. !

Leica 2xTC + Elmarit 2.8/180mm MKII (pre APO), EOS 5D

same combination..

An old Telyt 4/250mm + TC + EOS 400D = f8/800mm

And a last one, taken with Summilux 1.4/50mm + 2 x TC...
EOS 5D

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results of the Leica t-con are very well, can you also post some crops of these images?

Timo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only reason for buying those TCs is for extending my 200mm. I see no advantage in doubling a short lens to accomplish only what one of my longer lenses would provide. I suspect these two are old dogs, but we'll see. My 200mm is sharp, but does suffer from purple, so this should be interesting.

As an aside, I had heard that the lens mount adapters, that include glass to correct for registration distance, degrade IQ. I'm sure that's true, but I'm actually quite surprised at how well they do. I had ordered a plain ring adapter from China to allow me use of some old lenses in macro mode, but they sent me the adapter with corrective glass. I can see issues at the edges, but the centers are pretty sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leica R APO 1.4X and 2.0X are superb. The Leica R 2.0X (non APO) is a major step down but still better than any others that I have seen. Sometimes I think the APO extenders improve my IQ with non APO lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your tele's on different lenes including some of the shorter ones.
You might find a combo you really like.
Depending on which Vivitar tele you bought, you might really like it.

I bought My Tele for my 80-200 one touch lens And I really like that combo.

I got a real good price on mine. It's a JC Penney 2x. with case NOS for 10 bucks.

It's identical to some Vivitars I've seen.

Walter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhicH Vivitar is it? If it's the "macro-focusing" unit, it's a very good 7 elemend design. If not, it's nothing special. The Kiron MC-7 is very good too.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't received them yet, but here is the sale picture:

My guess is junk. No one else bid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Woodrim

You won't want to use them for serious work. Look for the Vivitar "macro-focusing" teleconverter or the Kiron MC-7 unit.

Russ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Woodrim

You won't want to use them for serious work. Look for the Vivitar "macro-focusing" teleconverter or the Kiron MC-7 unit.

Russ

Hi,

the left one seems to be identical to mine. Some pics:

Viv 70-210, macro, and TC 2x,
f8, 1/250

and f3.5, 1/250

perhaps not for serious, but fun work Rolling Eyes

greetings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I have the one on the left. I smashed the glass out some time ago to make it a 25mm extension tube.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures didn't look bad at all. Some Photoshop and all will be good. At a minimum, it'll be fun to test out. I'll report back with images.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter (exact name from the unit itself) is no slouch either. It's one of the better TC's out there, has 7 elements, and is allegedly built by Kiron. Its optical performance is quite good for a doubler, and it also has a focusing helicoid, allowing lenses to focus closer. WIth a 50mm lens, it gives 1:1 macro.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Vivitar 2x in 2003 when I was starting out in digital. I tried it with the useless 75-300 (3.5-5.6) Canon lens and got such crap results that it went into a drawer and got forgotten. A few weeks ago I got it out and tried it with the Canon 70-200 f2.8L and was surprised to find the results were not bad at all, even on a 5D Mk2, so I wouldn't (any longer) dismiss all these cheap TCs as being worthless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard (or read) about formulas which told that with 1.4x conv you have to stop down one stop and for 2x it is two stop. On digital body with digital convertors it said that is will automatically compensate with TTL metering. It is about that for better IQ degraded with conv glass is better to stop down doesn't it? How it really works?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't stop down. What happens is that the teleconverter reduces the amount of light reaching the camera, so my f2.8 lens with a 2x converter on will only allow as much light through as if it was an f5.6 lens.

In modern SLR cameras, the meter reads the incoming light so it should give you the right reading, anyway.

If you are calculating the aperture using a separate, external light meter then you would need to make an adjustment for the lost light but not many people do that nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my impoverished youth I had a couple of tele-converters of modest cost, and they put me off tele-converters. These days, I use Zeiss Mutars, and they confirm that old adage about getting what you pay for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ PaulC: Now it's clear to me. Giving a sense. Thanks.