Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

any olympus XA fans?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: any olympus XA fans? Reply with quote

i have one i haven't in many years, since i dropped it and the rangefinder would not focus to infinity. the focus wheel SAYS it is at infinity, but the rangefinder images don't quite meet. i'd love to get this thing operating again. is this a do-it-yourself fix? as for batteries, google search showed two SR44 / S76 silver oxide button batteries are required. mine had a single dl1/3n dureacell in it. eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening the XA top is pretty easy, here is a tutorial I wrote a while ago when I still had one. I don't know where the screws to register the rangefinder are, but if you open yours, remove the white cardboard on top of the rangefinder assembly, and take a picture we might be able to point you in the right direction. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot: on the Classic Camera Repair Forum, under the "Repair Manuals" section there's the full XA service manual (the password to download it is at the top of the page). I'm sure there's the full procedure to register the RF in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an XA. Bought it at a yard sale a few years ago for $5US complete with flash and instruction manual. Cool

It's a great little pocket picture taker. I like it better than the various mini Rollei 35s. Not saying that the photos are any better, necessarily, but it's much more convenient to use.

As for repair questions, if you don't get the answers you seek here, I'd recommend you give these folks a visit:

http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

Join (if you haven't already) and click on the "Maintenance and Repair" link. There are some knowledgeable folks who frequent that forum, some of whom I'm sure shoud be able to offer advice.

Let us know how it works out for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to you all. i'll look into the possibilites.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Great fan Reply with quote

I am a great fan of Oly XA : usually I use leica or contax rf , but Oly XA is a great resource, good enough for photographing at best Smile
These a few pictures I have taken with

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Great fan Reply with quote

mauroscacco wrote:
I am a great fan of Oly XA : usually I use leica or contax rf , but Oly XA is a great resource, good enough for photographing at best Smile
These a few pictures I have taken with

Ciao e benvenuto a bordo, Mauro. First posters are not enabled to make attachments on the forum as an anti-spam measure, so I made the pictures visible for you. Great street series and great BW. I stopped by at your website, nice photographs and presentation. Well done the graphic of the website itself too.

Cheers, Marty.-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet shots, mauro.

Last edited by fish4570 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I willing to take one too sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fish, actually not my shots. I just made visible the locked pictures of the previous post by mauroscacco.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to carry, a bit small to use for me. But they do very good. XA4 is very nice too, with 28mm wide angle (P&S, no RF).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, marty. i made the name change in my post ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an XA-2 at a thrift store for $2 just before Christmas time and was really surprised by the little bugger. The zone focus was kind of weird to me, but when I remembered to set the focus switch it could really nail the subject.
I sold it, but now I'm thinking of getting another one, and I know right where to get one too, but I hesitate because I think I might like the mac daddy XA better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i m a xa fan too.
i have both xa and xa2.
my xa has very light yellow spot, difficult to focus at night.
i found i use xa2 more often these days,because the image from it is not that bad compared with xa...