Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikonos II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Nikonos II Reply with quote

A while back Sandy posted a thread that brought up the Nikonos waterproof cameras.
Yesterday I was at my repair shop and there was one there.
A Nikonos II. It is a meter less scale focus 35mm camera with a F2.5/35mm lens.
This one is well used but just had a shutter CLA and the lens is great.
I won't dive with it as was the original design. It will be great for my Mooonlight landscapes at the beach.
Will be able to put the camera right down into the action at water level.
Wish the lens was wider. I have yet to search ebay but, hoping for a 21mm.
The best part. $100 out the door. The benefit of being a loyal customer Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, congrats! I wish to see some nice underwater "lady" photos Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find.
Does the lens focus out of water? I though I read that these had the finest underwater lenses ever made but didn't produce decent results in the dry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the same thing, the UW Nikkors are water-corrected and thus results on dry land likely not to be anything special.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have yet to try it out.
My friend has a later model III and has some fine results on land.
I plan to use it for moonlights and at f8 mostly. Can't imagine it won't be good there.
I will report my findings soon Very Happy
Vilhelm Are you using a Nikonos when you dive?
If yes, have you tried it on land?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Vilhelm Are you using a Nikonos when you dive?
If yes, have you tried it on land?

I owned a Nikonos IV in the late 1990's, I sold it many years ago to finance the return flight back home Laughing

After that I have been using Ikelite and Sea & Sea housings for D70, D200 and D3. I don't own a housing as of now (I find it too expensive vs. too little opportunity to use, once or twice per year). Would love to use a Nikonos again, and I would be thrilled if Nikon introduced a digital Nikonos...

I have never actually used a Nikonos on land. It's funny, but my archive of negs and slides don't show any land pics. I know you can use the glass on land as well, but I recall some UW-Nikkors as being water-corrected and the whole mechanism and focusing/estimate distance etc. is probably a little trickier than normal cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a find; good on you ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered that the 35mm lens is fine for use above or below the surface.
It is the same optical scheme as the nikkor RF f2.5/35mm lens. I'm stoked even more now. Very Happy