Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

opinions on the minolta MC rokkor 135 2.8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: opinions on the minolta MC rokkor 135 2.8? Reply with quote

A local shop has one for $60 bucks, perfect condition, just wondering what people think of it.

Also, what mount is this lens. It has 2 metal pins or levers on the mount, looks like they move. sorry if that isn't descriptive. would want to mount it on canon if possible, if not I'll pass.

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very common lens on the market and depending on the version and condition $60 could be a good price. You can buy this lens on www.keh.com for a great price in many conditions.

They have adapters for Canon that get infinity but it comes with extra glass. You can get Jim Buchanan to professionally adapt the lens to EOS if thats is your body type, however it would not be worth it unless you have a lot of discretionary income (in which case you would probably buy the rare 135/2).

If you have a body for it I would buy one off keh and save a few bucks. I am definitely a Rokkor fan though!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good experience with Rokkor lenses also, definetly a good buy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would buy it, but I shoot canon, so no deal for me I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one from after they dropped the Rokkor name. It's a Minolta 135mm f/2.8. I'd sell it for $40.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have ALOT of spare cash around, you can consider this:

http://digitalrokkor.altervista.org/why.html

Replacing the EF mount to a special made mount to take the Rokkor lenses Wink

Only makes sense if your investment in Minolta lenses is substantial, and now to find some of those lenses they made for Leica Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have converted an MC Rokkor 135mm f/2.8 to M42 mount and used it a bit. It's a decent lens, but not really superior to other 135mm's. (For indeed, there are many good 135mm's.)

$60 sounds a bit high for this, but of course you save shipping buying locally.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor lenses are (used to be) great bargains because they cannot be used on modern digital bodies other than 4/3 and u4/3. I got that lens for USD$10.00+USD$10.00 for shipping.

It has great bokeh. Apparently it's one of the best Minolta lenses wrt bokeh. However, according to minolta experts, that version (6/5) is not as sharp as the plain MD 135 (5/5). The latter is closed but not as sharp as the rokkor MD 135 (4/4). In my personal use, the MC 135mm 2.8 is very good and sharp, but I don't pixel peeping at 100%.

My personal issue with that lens (and any 135mm) is that it's damn hard to focus on my e-p1 (x2 crop factor) even on a tripod.

Edit: the important thing is the lens formula. You might have a MC (vs MD) but with a 4/4 construction, which is the sharpest formula among Minolta 135mm 2.8.