Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Butterfly resting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Butterfly resting Reply with quote

I was digging through some files, when I found these and thought they might be of interest.

This is a CLEO on a Rudbeckia flower in VIS and simulated tetrachromatic butterfly vision (UV+VIS).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like #1 one, second one is not catch my attention.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful and awesome. Love both
Lens? Film or digi?

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I remember correctly, this was shot using a UV-Rodagon 60mm on digital camera.

The first image is the normal, visible light image, whereas the second one is a simulation (using very special filtering techniques) how an insect like a butterfly would see that scene. It takes quite some time to see the differences, like the UV lit up thin line around the wings, which appear brown in visible light and other pattern, which are invisible to us but butterflies can see.

Don't be disappointed if you don't see that immediately, it takes some time to develop that "eye".... kinda visual retraining Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the different "view", the appearance, there are so more details to see in the UV shot.
Like from another world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sandy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
the second one is a simulation (using very special filtering techniques) how an insect like a butterfly would see that scene.

These are always interesting. It tells us quite a lot about what information is important to insects, assuming your technique truly does reflect the frequencies that insect eyes are sensitive to. It doesn't really tell us what they "see", though, because we have no way of knowing how an insect brain processes and interprets the information from its compound eyes (I would hazard a wild guess that its brain has an image stitching program that makes anything we have produced look like a clumsy joke).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask a stupid question, can UV only be shown at night or dark condition?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the black background is caused because he used flash with a macro lens, which was much, much brighter than daylight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Let me ask a stupid question, can UV only be shown at night or dark condition?

It is the same with normal light. If it is dark or night then there is also no UV. One would use an artificial light (Flash, LED, ...)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

It is the same with normal light. If it is dark or night then there is also no UV. One would use an artificial light (Flash, LED, ...)

So the insect does not produce any UV but only reflect UV from light source? I remember seeing some documentary about some deep sea fish producing UV or some type of light or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean bioluminescence - a completely different subject (caused by a reaction of Luciferin + Luciferase)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
you mean bioluminescence - a completely different subject (caused by a reaction of Luciferin + Luciferase)

Looks like I have mixed the two up.

Do everything reflects UV or only butterfly, bees, flowers and its like reflects them? How about us human? Oops, maybe I am going off topic here from your thread. Embarassed