Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 17 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Tokina 17 3.5 Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new car, but this McLaren is a bit out of my price range unfortunately. Crying or Very sad The young guy in front of the car has just started a detailing / valeting business close to where I live and this turned up on his first day of opening. I stopped to take some pictures, luckily I had the Tokina 17 3.5 in my bag which performed as well as the McLaren. Laughing it's a great lens.
I have done a lot of PP to the first picture, corrected a bit of perspective - which actually wasn't that bad - and I've done a lot of cloning to get rid of lights and cables that are on the wall, and some reflections on the car itself.
I've printed these out for him to hang on the workshop wall, and use them on his website.

The Tokina is a very good lens which I certainly won't part with.

This is the original, you can see the perspective distortion in this picture by the building door frame, but the car looks OK. Taken without a building to show it, the distortion is acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. The color changes in PP really make the car pop without it looking fake. (I don't really care for the overwrought colors so popular with some artists) Car color wouldn't be my first choice but I guess if you got it flaunt it. I would like to get a tokina 17 someday. Currently using their 11-17 zoom on my Canon 60 D and distortion is a bear. Next fall I plan to spring for the Sony a7II so the crop factor won't be as bad on wide images.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have two other lenses in the 17mm range, I still hold tight my Tokina 17/3.5 due to it's performance, size/weight and price.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

you don't want to hear this but the car is different shape too in the corrected picture

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a colour vision defect which causes hilarity with my Dear Wife whenever I make the mistake of trying to find a tie to match a particular shirt . . . and I own a couple of nice 'grey' shirts which she assures me are actually pink !

No criticism of Lloydy's processing skills which far exceed mine, but here, I see a 'green' car in the original shot and a 'yellow' one in the processed one. Have the colours changed so much, or is it my weird vision?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the car certainly changed shape when the perspective correction was done, but the shape of the car doesn't look wrong in either picture when viewed on its own. Before I bought the Tokina a friend loaned me a Sigma 16mm Filtermatic, which I hated as the distortion was huge. And considering I was about 8 to 10 feet away from the car I think the Tokina did a good job.
The difference in colour is probably due to there being about 2 hours between the pictures being taken and the car was no longer completely in the shade when I took the interior shot, I had to over expose to keep and detail of the black interior. But that can be corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, great color for the McLaren!

I too love my Tokina 3.5/17, it's a great lens!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I have a colour vision defect which causes hilarity with my Dear Wife whenever I make the mistake of trying to find a tie to match a particular shirt . . . and I own a couple of nice 'grey' shirts which she assures me are actually pink !

No criticism of Lloydy's processing skills which far exceed mine, but here, I see a 'green' car in the original shot and a 'yellow' one in the processed one. Have the colours changed so much, or is it my weird vision?

That's an interesting one, I can sort of see what you mean. The colour shift is not that great, but because of the blueness of the shadows, your brain is sort of doing a "white balance" trick on the car, which means you are unconciously subtracting blue from the paintwork and seeing yellow. It is the same sort of thing as the "gold dress blue dress" controversy that went round the internet a while back http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

Either way it is an abomination of car colour (no offence intended!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. I like the color :0) Once we figure out how to become overly Rich from selling pictures, lets buy a couple of them. ^^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the lens performs well. Which version do you have? The 67mm filter one or the 72mm filter one (with integrated hood)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 67mm one, and I use a cheap petal hood all the time as it improves resolution a lot.