Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS Film Cameras?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS Film Cameras? Reply with quote

Does anyone have one?

I'm thinking of investing in a newer film body that I can use my lenses on (both EF & M42). Needs to have a good viewfinder for MFing.

As for budget, I guess 100gbp or less.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed, interested in responses!

I'm thinking an EOS3 will replace my cheap Rebel K2 (plastic lens mount) some day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon EOS Film Cameras? Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Does anyone have one?

I'm thinking of investing in a newer film body that I can use my lenses on (both EF & M42). Needs to have a good viewfinder for MFing.

As for budget, I guess 100gbp or less.

Yes. I have one, an EOS 300V. It cost me 25 euro, in virtually new condition.

The 300V has a good viewfinder. A relative small magnification factor, but it is bright enough. Smaller and brighter than the Spotmatic, for instance. Since I wear glasses, that is good. Without glasses, the Spotmatic viewfinder is probably better (larger).

I should add that the Canon EF 50/1.8 is almost permanently attached to this cam. It is a nice, light and small combination. Otherwise, I use my Tokina 20-35, which also is a good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOS 300 hits mirror, at least Mir-1B.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
EOS 300 hits mirror, at least Mir-1B.

Oh, that is an important point to think about indeed.

Something else; the EOS cameras don't work without a battery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have an EOS 1, and EOS 10, and my wife uses a newer EOS that I can't think of the model at the moment. They are great . . however . .they suffer similar mirror interferance with certain lenses.

All of mine have no issues except a Biotar 58mm. They are pretty cheap!

Highly recommended

Jules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
Subscribed, interested in responses!

I'm thinking an EOS3 will replace my cheap Rebel K2 (plastic lens mount) some day.

May be lucky if your budget is the same as mine. I see it's the type that sets the focus point with the eye.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, this is something to consider if you're worried about the mirror issue. This is an APS film camera with a smaller mirror like the DSLRs. The viewfinder is about the same as the 400D, so not good, but the camera is very compact and quite advanced, with P, Av, Tv and manual modes and of course, motor drive. It can mount EF lenses if you want to use them, but strangely not EF-S lenses.

I got it specifically to take pics as I'm riding my pushbike, using the remote release. Cost £11. I built a handlebar mount for it but it needs to be stiffer, most of them so far have been shaky! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an EOS ELan IIe, which I consider to be a very capable 35mm camera. The II series can be bought for dirt cheap on eBay. Recently I sold an Elan II on eBay that used to be my mother's. I know for a fact that she probably hadn't put 10 rolls of film through that camera, and mentioned this in the auction description. It sold for $10US, including the manual and a body cap. How depressing. So yeah, an Elan II or IIe is a great deal, and a good camera to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - The 400D cannot focus at wider than F4 so if the screen is like that then it's not an option for fast lenses. If I can get one cheaply enough it may be worth trying it and seeing how much I use my AF lenses. I only have one APS-C and I know it won't work on a 35mm body.

Michael - I assume the Elan is in the same range as the camera Peter has, so I guess it has a small viewfinder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: EOS galore Reply with quote

I started my autofocus collection with an EOS 650 which was new back in the mid 1980's, then a 630 (faster and very full featured and tank like) then an EOS Ell and EOS A2E a Rebel Ti (loads of features but the solidity of a cornflake box) and now the mighty EOS 1-N RS with the fixed mirror and awesome abilities...

I also have the EOS IX which produces nice pics using the 50mm f1.8 prime but sadly APS is only available now in a limited range and it's problematic to get developed in a lot of places..

Doug.

Oddly I no longer have a Canon DSLR which was what I go to use all the lenses from the film bodies.. I am mainly Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax lol

Last edited by nemesis101 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only experience with EOS650.

Not recommended for MF-work. Other how pretty decent camera with couple common faults due shutter support rubber aging etc., but the ligthmeter and the controls leave a lot to be desired. However it's still an impressive camera for the first AF-EOS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first film EOS I had was a 500. Good cam, but a lot of plastic and high energy consumption.

Then I bought a 50e from Orio. Great cam! Unfortunately, it quickly stopped to work with manual lenses and shortly after stopped to work at all. Sad

Now I have a 300 which is a very nice cam, small and lightweight.

But the best "EOS" for manual lenses is the EF/M which is not really an EOS cam since it does not offer AF. But it has a great matte screen and viewfinder, as it was developed for manual focusing.
I have got one and I will definitely keep it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of EOS 35mm cameras from down through the years, but hadn't thought of using them with MF lenses - going to remedy that at the weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
But the best "EOS" for manual lenses is the EF/M which is not really an EOS cam since it does not offer AF. But it has a great matte screen and viewfinder, as it was developed for manual focusing.

Thanks for this Carsten, I'd never heard of this camera before. I might give it a go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have an EOS 650 which works when it feels in the right mood. But focsing with it isn't easy with shorter focal lengths, and with manual lenses I can't get the metering to work properly. That might be to do with it's generally unpredicatable condition though.

I also have an EOS 1000n which works fine despite feeling like a heap of creaking plastic that wasn't glued together too well. But it's even harder to focus manually and I rarely use it. And never with manual lenses.

My own feeling is that the older and cheaper EOS film cameras simply aren't worthwhile for manual lens use. MF Canon bodies can be bought cheaply, or if you want to use other brand lenses, then MF Nikons, Yashicas etc are all available inexpensively.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

That's a pretty rare bird these days. Canon couldn't have sold very many of them. Apparently Canon introduced it to satisfy the needs of students whose instructors required mf cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Thanks for this Carsten, I'd never heard of this camera before. I might give it a go

That's the one:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing there's a Tak attached to it I assume there's no mirror issue?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I owned a Canon EOS 50E but sold it to fund my first digital SLR. Recently I purchased another one brand new from an eBay seller in Hong Kong for £70 incl shipping. When it arrived there was no import duty to pay either! Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-50E-QD-Film-SLR-50E-50EQD-Brand-NEW_W0QQitemZ230403186973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item35a519a11d
The same seller is selling them c/w battery pack for £90.
I wear glasses and have no problem focusing manual lenses with this camera. Also, it has a metal lens mount unlike the cheaper plastic models in their range. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Seeing there's a Tak attached to it I assume there's no mirror issue?

Not that I have realized.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 300V has a metal lens mount as well. However, the body is simply plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The first film EOS I had was a 500. Good cam, but a lot of plastic and high energy consumption.

Then I bought a 50e from Orio. Great cam! Unfortunately, it quickly stopped to work with manual lenses and shortly after stopped to work at all. Sad

Now I have a 300 which is a very nice cam, small and lightweight.

I have a different version (US Version I think) is just the opposite. It's built like a tank, weighs a ton, metal body, and works very well.

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a EOS30. i love it. and the mirror modification was pretty easy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first film SLR was EOS 50E (ElanII) and I am very satisfied. Dreamed about 1V which can get from ebay for good price. Bright VF but not as large magnification as at manual slr. Mirror issues are awkward but I trying to learn with.
However this Canon camera provide enough functions for serious shooting so I still use it. Many times with manual glasses.