Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seimar 400mm f6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Seimar 400mm f6.3 Reply with quote

There has been threads talking about the old 60's and 70's big lenses.
I was looking for a lens in the 400mm to 800mm size.

Because of price considerations I tought I would buy either a Spiratone or an Astranar.

I bought a few things in the last week, so my budget for camera lenses
and equipment is pretty well blown thru march 1st.

But a Seimar 400mm lens was listed last night for $9.85 US with $7.75
shipping . Total $17.60 US.

When I got up today, I checked and it was still there. So I raided my change jar and came up with enough money.

So I bought it. It's kinda a gamble. Pics were horrible, and the discription wasn't much better. It is supposed to have a Minolta mount.

So here is the pic that was listed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your fingers crossed....mount that bad boy and have at!...and post some pics....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will shoot off some pics with it, and post them.

If the lens is even in working condition. If not I have a new project.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very much like the classic Spiratone. The same lens (I still don't know the maker) was sold under many brands.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that it was Sigma who made these lenses. The one I just bought was listed as made by Sigma.

But did they make them all I don't know.It seems most of what you read contradicts each other.

Let me correct what I said the Spiratone YS lenses are made by Sigma
according to the son Johnathon Spira.

But he didn't say if these were. I have also heard the Sun name used as
a maker of the early lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar (Tokina) 400mm F6.3 (T4 mount) takes quite reasonable photos if stopped down a bit.
bb2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
My Vivitar (Tokina) 400mm F6.3 (T4 mount) takes quite reasonable photos if stopped down a bit.
bb2

I hope this one does. I'm really looking foward to this lens Very Happy

I just need to decide where I'm going to test it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received it today. The good news: Only minor scuff marks on the body,
and the front lens is real nice. No scratches on the lens.

It came with a front cap, that wasn't shown in the auction. By the look of the lens, I'd say it always had a cap on when not in use.

All numbers and lines are crystal clear with no fading or color change.
Zoom is super smooth, and the stop clicks are crisp.

Another bonus is it came with an original case, that wasn't shown in the auction. Very nice condition, but the seam needs to be reglued.

Bad news: It didn't have a Minolta mount like listed in the auction. Also there is moisture in front of the rear lens.

I bought this lens as is with almost no description, and bad pics.The pic
I posted at the start of this thread, is after sharpening and lightening.

I am very happy with what I received. I took into account when I bought it that it might have the wrong adapter on it.I really expected more condition issues.

Any idea how to get rid of the moisture? Also what glue to use on the case?

I will try to post pics of the lens tommorow.

Walter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question. It came with an adapter, but I don't recognize it.
Any idea?

Sorry for the really bad pic. I was using my monitor as a light source.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its part of an adapter - the locking ring for a Canon FD/FL T-mount it looks like, though it could also be a Miranda.

The rest of the adapter screws off, leaving an M42x.75 male screw, and you can screw on another T-mount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will post a pic of the whole thing tommorow after I get it off.

I was a kinda worried when the other part wouldn't come off. But, after I put my new glasses on, I can see the screw that has to come out first.

Thaks again, Walter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Its part of an adapter - the locking ring for a Canon FD/FL T-mount it looks like, though it could also be a Miranda.

The rest of the adapter screws off, leaving an M42x.75 male screw, and you can screw on another T-mount.

Something is wrong. My camera battery is almost dead so I could only snap off a couple shots.

What should be rest of the adapter is in the first pic. Sorry for the weird angle, I was trying to show both the inside and outside. Note, it is held onto the camera with set screws.
Second pic is the end of the lens. No threads.
3rd pic is into the lens.
Please help. I'm confused.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more question. The first lens is 2" in. Shouldn't it have a rear lens. That looks like a lens mount to me.

I know it's a stupid question. But I've seen at least 6 of these, various brands, with no lens at the rear.

I'm kinda getting the feeling this ones going in the parts bin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are two possibilities, and I can't really tell from your pictures where you stand -

1. Your lens is a T-mount, and you have removed the outer assembly (which is held on by setscrews), leaving the inner ring which looks just like what we see here. This inner ring should unscrew from the base of the lens leaving an M42x.75 thread.

2. Your lens has a fixed Canon mount, held on by setscrews to a flange at the base of the lens that can't unscrew.

I can't tell from your pictures whether that flange can unscrew or if it is one piece with the end of your lens. Better prictures would help.

Fix for case 1 - replace the mount, tighten the setscrews, and unscrew the whole thing.

Fix for case 2 - The outer ring of a T-mount may go over that flange and the T-mount setscrews can grip it. This would depend on the dimensions of the flange, of the T-mount (unfortunately the diameter and depth of this inner ring varies among T-mounts), and the focal distance of the assembly. If the fixed flange is at the T-mount back-focus distance, no problem, but is not, some adjustment will have to be made.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that it's probably a T-mount with the inner and outer rings of the assembly separated.Put the black ring on first,then screw on the silver FD ring.

You may wish to order a Minolta T-mount adapter....which can be found for various prices on ebay....
http://photography.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=T-Mount+For+MINOLTA+&_sacat=78997&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Lens_Accessories&_odkw=T-Mount+For+MINOLTA+Adapter+Ring&_osacat=78997

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back home, I will charge up the camera.

It looks like we have # 2 Cannon fixed mount, held on with setscrews to non removable flange.

Flange is 49mm. So I could buy a Minolta MD t mount and take it apart and hope for the best. Which I might do. Wouldn't really loose anything.

I could always use the mount on another lens.

I really thought all these early lenses were t mount.

Another option is save up for a used Canon camera with several lenses
and have a new toy.

AE1's seem to go cheap. Are they any good?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a fixed mount T mount,it may not work.The diameter of the flange is smaller in the fixed mount.

Buying an AE1 seems like a good option,plus it opens your lens selection for some very nice Canon glass.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right. I really would like to try some Canon lenses.