Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/4? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to buy one of these lenses, a nice looking silver one, for $90. Looks kuje 59xx serial #, so made in 1959.

As I already have a Super Tak 135/3.5 and Komine-made Vivitar 135/2.8(which I like), will I see much difference or is it a poor value for what I would get in return?

I haven't been able to find much info on the f/4. Maybe not as good as the 3.5? It does look nice in silver though I will say that!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 4/135 Sonnars of Jena, one alloy, one with leatherette ring and auto diaphragm. I sold the third, an 3.5/135 MC.

Both 4/135 have an excellent resolution power. The silver alloy has 8 aperture blades and a preset aperture. And that is why it is perfect for digital use: near perfect round bokeh highlights and the preset aperture mechanism.

Last edited by mflex-on on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely lens - better than the 3.5 IMHO

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/4? Reply with quote

stonedes wrote:
I haven't been able to find much info on the f/4. Maybe not as good as the 3.5? It does look nice in silver though I will say that!

It's an old, slow 135mm. Single-coated. $90 is about 80% collector value. If you want an upgrade from your Takumar, try Contax Sonnar 135/2.8 (can be had for as little as $130-140), which is arguably the best 135mm around, let alone the best for the money. Or if you are after sharpness at all apertures, Nikkor Ai and AIS 135/3.5 are great ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/4? Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
$90 is about 80% collector value.

So you argue that the real, the "working" worth of an old Sonnar is around 12 EUR? This is joking, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 135/4 Sonnar is at least as good as its copy - Jupiter-11 - then it could be better than the Takumar. But Jupiter costs 1/2 or 1/3 price... Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/4? Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
aoleg wrote:

So you argue that the real, the "working" worth of an old Sonnar is around 12 EUR? This is joking, I think.

Uhm, you see, I am used to paying $10-12 for no-name 135mm f/3.5 lenses. Trust me, most perform just like this Sonnar (it's hard to make a bad 135/3.5), and quite a few are better. So yes, if the lens was not wearing the famous "Zeiss" badge and would be named, say, "Asacuma", it would be worth just that - $10-12 at best. However, it DOES wear the famous badge, so its resale value is bound to remain quite high.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/4? Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
mflex-on wrote:
aoleg wrote:

Uhm, you see, I am used to paying $10-12 for no-name 135mm f/3.5 lenses. Trust me, most perform just like this Sonnar (it's hard to make a bad 135/3.5), and quite a few are better. So yes, if the lens was not wearing the famous "Zeiss" badge and would be named, say, "Asacuma", it would be worth just that - $10-12 at best. However, it DOES wear the famous badge, so its resale value is bound to remain quite high.

....it's amazing what you can achieve with cheap gems, esp in the hands of a competent photographer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is pretty similar 135mm lenses are very close to each other. A noname Japanese for 10 USD can be very close or same than a Carl Zeiss Sonnar no matter Jena or Contax. This is not means 12 USD is their right value. Personally I not like to shoot with noname lenses even if their image quality is good. Some people can make exceptional shoots basically with any lenses some others don't. Photographer, lights , subjects lot more important than lens or camera. We are in lucky period we can buy any type of gears at any price levels and all just working fine even cheapest ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
We are in lucky period we can buy any type of gears at any price levels and all just working fine even cheapest ones.

+1

... a better typewriter does not make a better writer Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I must say, that I have never found a 135mm MF lens, which would be at least as sharp as these Sonnars/Jupiters while having lower CA, or at least as low CA while being sharper.

Fine - there's one exception - 125/2.5 Macro Lanthar, but that's different price range.

I agree, that many 135mm lenses are good. But I have never found any single one, which is as sharp as the Sonnars/Jupiters at f/3.5-f/4.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Well, I must say, that I have never found a 135mm MF lens, which would be at least as sharp as these Sonnars/Jupiters while having lower CA, or at least as low CA while being sharper.

Fine - there's one exception - 125/2.5 Macro Lanthar, but that's different price range.

I agree, that many 135mm lenses are good. But I have never found any single one, which is as sharp as the Sonnars/Jupiters at f/3.5-f/4.

Exactly my experience, besides all Zuikos, Takumars, Vivitars and cheaper ones the Sonnar is equal or even much better, This is not a 12 EUR lens.

Last edited by mflex-on on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

Olympus OM 135mm f2.8, Leica 135mm f2.8, Steinheil 135mm f2.8 , Yashica DSB 135mm f2.8 ... there is plenty in my opinion what is sharp like Sonnar 135mm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, no-name 135mm lenses can be very sharp and useful indeed. Take for example the Japanese Helios 135/2.8 and Auto Chinon 135/2.8, which give very nice results.

However, certain lenses have real character and produce images which just have something extra, for example the Pentacon pre-set has that gorgeous bokeh and the Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 produces some wonderful stand out 3D. Which is why I swear by the Sonnar and Pentacon models Smile The Jupiter 11 is also a superb lens IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, and thank you for all the input!
I have considered a Jupiter 11 because they are a copy of the Sonnar but I've read that getting a good copy can present a challenge because of the quality control.
And it is a great time we live in, with all the affordable quality lenses available now, although the prices are on the rise because its easy to use these leness on digital.
A great example is my 8 blade Komine-made Vivitar 135/2.8 from 1971. I am learning to love this lens I found for $7. I am curious about the Zeiss look, but maybe I won't notice the difference.
It appears that those of you who have used both the 3.5 and 4 Sonnars, that the 4 may actually be preferable for digital. Interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variable quality doesn't pertain to all CCCP lenses. In some constructions there is higher possibility of things going wrong.

The most variable CCCP lens is Jupiter-9 85/2. It consists of 7 optical elements, where every 3 are cemented to a group. 7 elements = 14 surfaces = possibility of 14 errors. 4 cemented surfaces = 4 more possibilities of inaccuracy.

On the other hand Jupiter-11 135/4 and Jupiter-37 135/3.5 consist of 4 optical elements and only two of them are cemented together. In fact I have never had a bad copy of 135mm Jupiter. Try it, you should be happy with it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
In fact I have never had a bad copy of 135mm Jupiter. Try it, you should be happy with it Smile

I do. It was brand new in box with all accessories, the latest MC version. What would you think? Unsharp on the right side even on crop bodies... probably a centering issue. I still have it BTW. I also have an older one (also MC, but the front element seems completely uncoated), and that one is just as sharp as Jupiter-37 should be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had more than six of them and all of them were good. Isn't it possible, than some of the lens elements is loosy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I had more than six of them and all of them were good. Isn't it possible, than some of the lens elements is loosy?

+1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

It might be. I haven't disassembled mine yet. I'll try just disassembling and putting it back together to see if it gets better some day. If not, it might be the cemented group, which would be the end of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Jupiter 11a's on Ebay and they were in the $70 range. I ended up buying the silver Sonnar.

Thanks again for all your help!