Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mo black and white(C&C)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Mo black and white(C&C) Reply with quote

mo being my cat Rolling Eyes
I am getting a little frustrated/disappointed with my hit and miss attempts These are the best of my 24 shots taken with the....
Super Tak 1.8 on the Kr5super This first one is not what I was trying for but I like how it turned out Smile

Just trying to see the tones on the tabby stripes...

The Soligor 70-230mm T4 mount lens I just like the tree.

Has anyone else got the Auto Promura(or any promura lenses) 300mm lens not sure where it comes from but these came out ok

I Apologize for the hair(s) in the Store scanner Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3#4 are beautiful
I guess #1#2 was under exposed and cause the lack of contrast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tonal range. i like the first best ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the landscapes need more contrast, especially the hairy one Smile

Shooting B&W is a real art and the use of different coloured filters to emphasise details in particular areas is really important.

+++

Regarding your frustration, I wonder if you have to take the developing and scanning out of the hands of the lab in order to get consistent, reliable quality. They aren't used to B&W any longer and I'll lay 10-1 that they scan entirely by guesswork. Developing B&W is really very easy - just like cooking a casserole, stick to the instructions and it works. Scanning is a lot more difficult but if your neg is good, then you can spend as long as it takes to get it right. And, of course, you learn more and more about it all the time. An Epson V500 is really very cheap and extraordinarily good value. It will also let you scan to 20 x 16 size if you want. rather than providing tiny, low-quality files only suitable for postcards, which is all you get from High Street services.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying Paul as that was what ran through my head when I saw the hairs on the scanned image(2nd or third time I have had a foreign artifact in my scanned photos)...and after reading all that you guys can do in the developing stage and different mixes it has got me thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello.
I agree with previous posts. The first 2 pix are interesting even if a bit underexposed. Following 2 are good. The landscapes need more contrast, but this can eventually be cured in post process. You're on the right path, I've seen you're lookin for a scanner so possibly no more hair in future Smile .
And, if you're thinking about developing yourself go ahead with no fear. Ain't rocket science Wink

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 and #4 are superb.