Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28-35 for portrait
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: 28-35 for portrait Reply with quote

What would be a good 28-35mm lens to be used on 2x crop for portrait and general purpose? While I love my Distagon's sharpness and microcontrast, it can give some very reddish/patchy face when the light is not sufficient. Are there some lens with similar sharpness/micro contrast but with cooler color? Is patchy skin inseparable from high micro contrast?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it can give some very reddish/patchy face when the light is not sufficient

can you show a sample, it look like a white balance problem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both taken with daylight whitebalance, straight from camera jpg with resize only. Sorry for the busy background. The first one taken standing.

The second one taken sitting 2 min later, with more light on her face from a distant window.

With more light, the facial texture seems to be smoother, the first one looks rather "patchy". Perhaps it's mainly my fault as a bad photographer, but I wonder if high microcontrast tends to magnify these problem in the photographer/subject and not the best for portrait?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In her defense, she usually looks good in pics, and it's usually my fault. This is taken on another day, with Nikon 35/2, daylight white balance, straight from camera jpg.