Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New old lens but big problems.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: New old lens but big problems. Reply with quote

I just got a lens off Ebay. It is a Vivitar 135mm f/3.5 preset lens with 15 iris blades. Brand new in a shop worn box. Never been on a camera. A T mount that came with a Minolta adapter...that is for sale if someone needs one PM me. It will be cheap as I can't use it.

Any way being a 1960's lens that has never been used the iris blade are stuck. Someone before I received the lens tried the Aperture rings and caused several of the blades to jump out of the holder rings and bend....Now I have a brand new 135mm that is useless...Oh well off to Vphoto of Atlanta for a repair. Makes my lens cost 3 times what I wanted to pay......My luck was not so good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170429229746&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will come out ahead somehow, bd ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
you will come out ahead somehow, bd ...

Yeah...I'll own a new 1960's lens that cost more than the 2010 dollar value . LOL Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just toss it. There are plenty of good 135mm lenses out there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New old lens but big problems. Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
I just got a lens off Ebay. It is a Vivitar 135mm f/3.5 preset lens with 15 iris blades. Brand new in a shop worn box. Never been on a camera. A T mount that came with a Minolta adapter...that is for sale if someone needs one PM me. It will be cheap as I can't use it.

Any way being a 1960's lens that has never been used the iris blade are stuck. Someone before I received the lens tried the Aperture rings and caused several of the blades to jump out of the holder rings and bend....Now I have a brand new 135mm that is useless...Oh well off to Vphoto of Atlanta for a repair. Makes my lens cost 3 times what I wanted to pay......My luck was not so good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170429229746&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

If it was forced 99% blades or it's holder are damaged and almost un-fixable. I have same case with my rare Konishiroku 200mm pre-set lens. Lens looks brand new , but blades has same serious damage need to reproduce small sticks what are keep blades in holder. Better too look another one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return to seller.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this fellow used a piece of copper wire to fix a broken aperture "stick" in his PENTACON:

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=15783

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New old lens but big problems. Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Now I have a brand new 135mm that is useless...Oh well off to Vphoto of Atlanta for a repair. Makes my lens cost 3 times what I wanted to pay......My luck was not so good.

His shipping costs are $41 to send something to Europe Shocked

Anyway, I think you didn't get what was sold to you. I hope you paid with Paypal. If the seller refuses to take back the lens, raise a claim with them.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the "Question and Answer section" of this auction. I´m sure that the seller knew the problem

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: you have another picture of item ? you have picture that take by item ?
A: Lens is new! Why would you need another picture? And if I was tking pictures with it, it would no longer be new.

Clever reply by the seller knowing the problem of his item.

Discuss the problem with the seller, mention that new item means new condition + perfect working order. Ask for sending the lens back. No response or no agreement? Just a claim. Cool

edit: I've just read your reply Rolf and you are right. Wink

CHOOSE A RELIABLE MAIL COMPANY IF YOU HAVE TO SEND THE ITEM BACK WITH RELIABLE "TRACK AND TRACE" AND "SIGNED FOR", PAY INSURANCE [a few bucks for that price but totally may be much more than 24 bucks Confused ]. Sorry for the capitals Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnet-2009 wrote:
Q: you have another picture of item ? you have picture that take by item ?
A: Lens is new! Why would you need another picture? And if I was tking pictures with it, it would no longer be new.

Clever reply by the seller knowing the problem of his item.

Discuss the problem with the seller, mention that new item means new condition + perfect working order. Ask for sending the lens back. No response or no agreement? Just a claim. Cool

edit: I've just read your reply Rolf and you are right. Wink

CHOOSE A RELIABLE MAIL COMPANY IF YOU HAVE TO SEND THE ITEM BACK WITH RELIABLE "TRACK AND TRACE" AND "SIGNED FOR", PAY INSURANCE [a few bucks for that price but totally may be much more than 24 bucks Confused ]. Sorry for the capitals Laughing Laughing

For a lens above $50 dollars US I would return for my money...as it is I plan on finding another of the same build but worn out. This way I can send both to the repair shop and salvage the new one. Course this means scrapping the worn lens but that is the best solution for me. The extra cost is one way to punish myself for not doing a thorough enough job in asking questions. I learn from these each time something happens. The money is irrelevant at this price.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody says in the forum that the "new" old lens probably never used 'cos it's bad mechanically and/or optically.

And he is right. I bought, years ago, a "new" pentacon 2,8/29 and it was a desaster - misaligned element -. A good used lens, can be bad too. But when somebody sees a lens like new, he waits a real "like new" mechanical and optically. And almost always isn't.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rino. This truly was an untouched lens except for someone exercising their curiosity and working the Aperture ring. Still and all it will in the future become what it should be...a used lens..LOL...I will get it fixed my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !! Revive it !!

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who sell lenses in a deceptive way like this seller should be taken to task and dealt with,so your compensated and so he doesn't try to pull these tricks on other unsuspecting buyers.

Three times in the past year the seller mistakenly or dishonestly misrepresented a lens and that's after I inquired about a working aperture,focus or zoom rings,fungus,etc...In each case I asked for and received compensation,in one case the seller returned my money and told me to keep the lens.

I believe this seller was deliberately dishonest and you should be compensated no matter how trivial the price or he will continue his dishonest practices on unsuspecting buyers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Agreement is best Reply with quote

I doubt he will want the lens back. Ask him for a part refund?

Shared experience can make friendships, it is all a question of how you both deal with it.

Correcting the lens sounds best but a wide open lens may be all that it is worth, given the cost of repair? A few test shots may help you to decide if it is a keeper or sell it on, describing its condition fully, and allowing someone to sharpen their repair skills?

If you get much from resale it will help determine the size of the refund. The vendor may learn to tell the full truth too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New old lens but big problems. Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

I have a Vivitar 135mm f2.8 thats looks exactly the same as your f3.5 version and it has 15 iris blades too...I paid just £2 ($3) for mine!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two can play at pretending to be innocent,

Message the seller and do your best to sound angelic and sincere, explain that you are grateful for the lens and appreciate his quick delivery etc and then go on to explain that the aperture is not functioning and that this is not acceptable as the lens was described as new, a fact that was further re-enforced by his answer to another buyers enquiry.

Regardless of if he was aware of the fault, any seller worth his salt or at least protective of his reputation will make an effort to rectify the situation, I have bought many lenses in the past that have not met the expectations set by the item description. We all tend to bid based on the apparent quality and condition of a product and when I find an item to not be as described I will ask for a partial refund either as a contribution towards a repair or to simply bring the price of the item more in proportion with it's quality. The important point being that I would have not bid as much in the first place if I had been aware of the faults.

Many sellers will ask you to return an item at your own expense which is unfair and benefits only them. I usually reply stating that I wanted that specific item and that's why I bid on it in the first place and that a partial refund will go some way towards bringing the overall price in line with the condition of the item.

As a last resort a threat of negative (but accurate) feedback often helps motivate unhelpful sellers. Whilst it can be frustrating as a seller being unable to leave a buyer negative feedbacks it does allow buyers to be more honest and not fear false retaliation feedback from disgruntled sellers.

Some may argue that a seller may be novice and not really know if the item they are selling works or not and as such should not be approached for a refund but I believe this kind of attitude just allows people to sell any old junk with no comebacks, likewise if an item only fetches a very low price I don't see how this makes a faulty item any more acceptable, when buying something from a shop even a very cheap item will be returned if it is no good, no matter the cost it's money that would not have been spent if the item was known to be faulty.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: New old lens but big problems. Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

You got a good deal then.

I have a Vivitar 135mm f2.8 thats looks exactly the same as your f3.5 version and it has 15 iris blades too...I paid just £2 ($3) for mine!

Thanks to everyone's opinions and comments. I'm going to find a worn out version of this lens then send both off to the repair shop so they can swap the iris blades out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as stated by fatdeeman ... just give the seller a negative feedback and summarize what the issues are.
Very often sellers will then offer returns.

Also, i would not put too much effort in trying to repair the current lens, a repair man will cost more than the current value of the vivitar 135 lens.

Perhaps it is an idea to post a WTB 135mm lens in the Marketplace section ... i guess some members will have some cheap idle 135mm lens available.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
I believe this seller was deliberately dishonest and you should be compensated no matter how trivial the price or he will continue his dishonest practices on unsuspecting buyers.

I totally agree. Buyers have more power these days BigD. I ALWAYS ask for a refund for faulty or badly described items. I've always got my money back and 9 times out of 10 I get to keep the item.

Start a Paypal dispute straight away. communicate with the seller via the dispute system, telling him the lens is useless and you want a refund, and only agree to return the lens if he pays the postage. Give him 7 days to refund and if he doesn't comply, escalate it to a claim. And whatever you do, don't give any feedback until the matter is closed.