Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Missing Irises, when bought off web sites.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Missing Irises, when bought off web sites. Reply with quote

Hi all

First post, but I've lurked for a while. I own far too many lenses, I will get around to boasting someday, all bought without discretion!

Some of these are said to have a sticky aperture, but turned out not to have an iris at all as far as I could see! So just to reassure those who fear the worst, would sellers show a pic of a part closed iris mechanism, to enable the buyer to see what is there?

It seems that, probably in deceased estate sales, cannibalized lenses are sold by dealers who are not as familiar as they might be with lenses.

I will eventually try to mount onto an oversize iris if a worthwhile lens, or sell for parts, but using wide open is always an option.

Just an observation!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat and welcome. I too have bought many many lenses off the internet. I guess I've been lucky and about 95% of the lens I've bought have been Gems. The other five on the other hand have been less than one would want. It's getting worse it seems as many folks are learning of the money to be made selling old lens. We here are partially to blame as that is the type lens we are seeking. I usually just mark a bad lens I receive as another lesson to be learned and approach the next transaction with wider open eyes and many more questions. The hassle of filing a claim with Ebay I reserve for the ones that fail to ship an Item or the blatant liars out there. The feed back also is another way to whip these individuals into line. Just my opinion here. Sorry to hear of the missing irises but you can file a claim if you think these folks lied or see if you can get a refund as the items are less than they should be.
Have a nice day my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Irises, when bought off web sites. Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Some of these are said to have a sticky aperture, but turned out not to have an iris at all as far as I could see!

Hi Pat! My Domiplan seems like that too, but a few hard bangs on the kitchen table sometimes coaxes the diaphragm to close. Then I have to bang it again to get it to open again! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a conspiracy I tell you!

You are quite correct Pat,there are lenses without an aperture.They are usually specialty lenses for macro or copy work.Some such as the Rodenstock TV-Heligon 50/0.75 don't even have a focus ring.Others such as the Zeiss S-Ortho Planar 60/4 have no focus ring,but do have an aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Irises, when bought off web sites. Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Hi Pat! My Domiplan seems like that too, but a few hard bangs on the kitchen table sometimes coaxes the diaphragm to close. Then I have to bang it again to get it to open again! Laughing

Maybe it was designed to work that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Irises, when bought off web sites. Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
peterqd wrote:

Maybe it was designed to work that way.

Designed?? Wow, I wouldn't think they actually designed it. They just used a few bits of scrap glass lying on the factory floor. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were really deceptive I would put them on the bad sellers list and a description of what happened here.....
http://forum.mflenses.com/buyer-sources-f19.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Hi Pat and welcome. I too have bought many many lenses off the internet. I guess I've been lucky and about 95% of the lens I've bought have been Gems. The other five on the other hand have been less than one would want. It's getting worse it seems as many folks are learning of the money to be made selling old lens.

I agree it's been progressively getting worse during the past few years. When I started collecting old lenses (and that was 3 years ago), I would get a single lemon of every three lenses I purchased. Today, I have much more experience at what exactly to look for in eBay listings, yet my success rate is now closer to 40%. What can you do when buying a lens described as "Excellent condition, looks like new, no scratches, fungus, etc." from a vintage photographic dealer with more than 16,000 feedbacks and a 99.5% rating - and receiving two lenses badly scratched on the outside and inside as the result of bad cleaning? What if you asked them about these lenses *before* buying them, and were told they're "just like new - no defects at all that I can see"?

Usually, it is easy to arrange a return without taking too much of a loss. It was only once when I was called names and had to file a dispute with PayPal - and that was a typical blatant liar.

Big Dawg wrote:
I usually just mark a bad lens I receive as another lesson to be learned and approach the next transaction with wider open eyes and many more questions. The hassle of filing a claim with Ebay I reserve for the ones that fail to ship an Item or the blatant liars out there.

I guess my recent experience with those two lenses I recently bought would fall into your "blatant liars" (or "blatant ignorants") category Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all the posters who offered sympathy or advice!

I'm more into manual lenses because of the problems of more modern lenses. As they are not so robustly made, and have more to go wrong, they are generally in worse condition, when faulty.

Having so many beautiful 30,40 and 50 year old lenses still functioning perfectly or adequately is the better way of looking at things. Face to face is the only way to buy the modern plastic mounted gear?