Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question on Vivitar Series 1 Catadioptric 600mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Question on Vivitar Series 1 Catadioptric 600mm lens Reply with quote

The lens made by Perkin Elmer. I've read that it must have a filter mounted at the mount end before the optical formula is complete. Is this so? And if it is so and someone has a lens of this type but no filter....where can you get one? If purchasing a filter is out of the question ,,,then can one be made to fit the lens?

I'm asking because I'd like to buy one but there is no mention of a filter in the Ad. I've sent a question to the seller asking if the filters come with the lens but I am not sure they know enough to be capable of looking or will even look. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35.5mm screw-in filters for both the 600 & 800mm Vivitar Series 1 Solid Cat mirror lenses are occasionally seen on ebay.My 600 has four filters and my 800 came with three filters.

I keep the UV-Haze filter mounted because like you said it's part of the optical formula.Two of the filters in the set are for black & white photography,and the other is a neutral density filter.All of my filters are engraved "Vivitar Series 1" and respectively UV-HAZE, a ND-4X, a RED NO.25A, and a YELLOW K2.I've seen some sold on ebay with up to five filters with the 5th filter being a ND-2x.Though B&W 35.5 filters are readily available,I'm not sure if they will work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/119862-REG/B_W_65070047_35_5mm_Ultraviolet_UV_Glass.html

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also read that,, but apparently the only difference it makes is a very small adjustment to the infinity focus , due to the slightly shorter path the light has to travel without the filter
With the filter fitted the optical path is a few micro m longer due to it taking an angled path through the filter (refraction ?)
I have no experience with the lens, but don't think it will be more than the normal tolerance in the mount adapter anyway if the above is valid Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Rusty...I'll have to give that a try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Vivitar f:11/800mm

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went outside and took a few shots with the UV-Haze filter and with no filter.Shooting at 1/40 sec. hand held in the rain at this focal length doesn't make for crisp images.Though these weren't precision shots,seems a bit sharper with the filter and notice the bokeh difference in the OOF area.

Without UV-Haze Filter

With UV-Haze Filter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rusty, Boomer and Rolf. That is the info I was looking for. The one I'm looking at is a 600mm f/8 without any 2X multiplier. I probably need one like I need another hole in my head but the price is very very tempting. I promised the wife to clean out my lens account and cease buying for a while so I have money to spend right now... Not often I can say that last as I use my lunch money to buy lens. LOL At 2 dollars a day it takes a while to save, even when I'm working 7 days a week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boomer. Yes there is a difference. Quite noticeable in fact.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you look here

I own some mirrors, this one is the best !!!!

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the neutral background the OOF is improved.Once again,not so steady hand held at 1/320 sec.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Perhaps you look here

Wink

Please...don't tempt me....I would bet that indeed that is a very nice mirror lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Perhaps you look here

Wink

Sweet Rolf. A little out of my price range though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
With the neutral background the OOF is improved.Once again,not so steady hand held at 1/320 sec.

Great photo Boomer. Must have been some low light there too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Perhaps you look here

Wink

Sweet Rolf. A little out of my price range though.

Mmh, your decision.

Final auction price normally around 450 € here at German *bay. On the other side a lens where you can leave others at home or you can sell it. This lens is really the hit.

This one is super too. Olympus f:8/500 reflex
http://forum.mflenses.com/pana-g1-and-olympus-mirror-8-500-t20879.html
Price approx. 60-70 % of the Leica.

But the Leica is still (one of) the best
http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-mr-telyt-r-8-500mm-t19633.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-light-t19046.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-mr-telyt-r-8-500-t18979.html

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
I have also read that,, but apparently the only difference it makes is a very small adjustment to the infinity focus , due to the slightly shorter path the light has to travel without the filter
With the filter fitted the optical path is a few micro m longer due to it taking an angled path through the filter (refraction ?)
I have no experience with the lens, but don't think it will be more than the normal tolerance in the mount adapter anyway if the above is valid Very Happy

You are absolutely right in your suggestions. The filter does make the lens focus slightly more towards infinity; however, mirror lenses are designed to focus past infinity to compensate for varying thermal conditions, so the use of the filter is irrelevant from the optical standpoint. (In wide angles these filters do matter, as the focus adjustment they provide is well enough to throw infinity focusing off when removed). Just two test shots at 1/30s won't prove a thing Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then perhaps it's not the filter at all,but the distance and the shutter speed effecting the OOF....but as you can see in these shots with and without the filter the difference in the OOF.....and yes,I should have been shooting closer to 1/640 sec,but it was raining and quiet dark.In this case a tripod would be a good call.

If there is one positive thing to say about mirror lenses,is the ability to shoot hand held versus not being able to hand hold a 600 or 800 telephoto lens.

Without UV-Haze Filter
1/40 sec

1/30 sec

With UV-Haze
1/30 sec

1/25 sec

1/50 sec

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
If there is one positive thing to say about mirror lenses,is the ability to shoot hand held versus not being able to hand hold a 600 or 800 telephoto lens.

Technically, you can shoot at any shutter speed; however, you'll get terrible camera shake that will (and inevitably, does) show in the pictures. Catadioptric lenses are nice and light, true; but that does not mean the camera shake won't be there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your preaching to the choir here and for an old gummer like me a tripod is my friend.

Actually mirrors shoot fairly well when using high shutter speeds hand held and obviously won't give you the sharpness of a lens mounted on a tripod.

The point is, that a mirror can be shot at high shutter speeds with acceptable results hand held,and that's the beauty of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot mainly hand held and do not think this small lens will be much of a problem. Thanks for these sample photos. I may pass on this one as my Bigma covers near to this focal range and I've seen another lens that I want more. Thanks to all that have helped enlighten me on this subject.