Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma - bunch of news
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Sigma - bunch of news Reply with quote

I know some people love Sigma, another hate it, but this seems to be a historical moment...

Sigma finaly announced SD15 DSLR camera with enhanced ISO performance, better RAW convering options, DDR2 buffer for 21 frames and many chabges related to ISO and noise processing.

Well, they also relased successors of DP1 and DP2 series: DP1x and DP2s with some new user interface features and better auto-focus.

Also many new AF (Embarassed) lenses were introduced:

Sigma 85/1.4(!) with 11 elements Shocked
Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6 Shocked
Sigma 50-500 OS HSM
Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS
Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS HSM

17-50, 70-200 and 8-16 are based on new SLD glass

Almost a page of Sigma news on DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that this morning. I like that they have decide to make the 85/1.4 available in PK mount. It appears to have one SLD element too.

Too bad for Olympus owners... Those Sigmas will not be available in 4/3 mount.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! lot of news, 8-16 Shocked
and a new 'FLD' plastic, even lighter than before

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85/1.4

8-16

it's interesting to see, that Zeiss 85/1.4 uses almost half number of optical elements comapred to this Sigma product... shouldn't be 11 elemens enough even for APO correction?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news.
Lets see how the high iso improvements of the SD15 go.
No reviews yet I imagine it will be a while.
Do you suppose that Sigma will start selling these cameras by lets say...October? Wink
They have a bad history of actually getting cameras onto store shelves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find most interesting is the Bigma has finally been updated to include OS technology -- a welcome addition for EOS users and others who don't have image stabilization built into the camera body.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Interesting news.
Lets see how the high iso improvements of the SD15 go.
No reviews yet I imagine it will be a while.
Do you suppose that Sigma will start selling these cameras by lets say...October? Wink
They have a bad history of actually getting cameras onto store shelves.

Yes, this is already the 2nd big announcement of SD15 (this one was bigger to be fair), but e.g. DP2 was delivered 8 months after the announcement, so I'd be surprised if they catch this spring with SD15.

There are already some SD15 samples, but I'm not much impressed, there is some noise at ISO100 (maybe all the new features are targeted on high-ISO performance.... hard to say). It allows ISO3200, it has some new feature called "analog front-end" (likely some kind of pre-amplifier), it uses the new "True-II" processor, SPP4.0 is promised to offer more effective and user-adjustable noise reduction at ISO400 and more... It seems, that Sigma is really doing something, but still no high-ISO samples...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news indeed.

What I am interested is if the new SPP 4.0 could also reduce noise taken with SD14, I suppose it should cause the sensor is the same. Hope this new software is able to recover some pictures......

Just keep finger crossed and see what the performance would be.....