Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 35mm SLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Which 35mm SLR? Reply with quote

Hello there. My girlfriend and I want to buy a film SLR camera, but we're not sure of which model to buy. I already own a Praktica BMS (PB mount) that used to be my father's but I'd like to have another one so we both could be using film cameras at the same time. It doesn't need to have a PB mount also, it may be M42 for instance, because I also have an M42 lens wich I use on the 350D and I'm planning to get more in the future.

I thought about the Zenit 122, because it's cheap and simple... but there's also the Nikon F's, Canon AE-1, Praktica MTL, Yashicas...and so on. Any suggestion? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An M42 Pentax or (my preference) a Fujica ST605n/ST705: they are small, have great bright viewfinders, precise exposure meters using double CdS cells, no electronics apart from the exposure meter, and cost very little. They also do light measurement stopping down the lens which is ideal for M42 lenses as you always have the lens wide open and only close it down when taking a reading.

There's plenty on UK ebay, I picked up a couple last year for less than 20 euros each. If you decide for a Fujica, get one with the f1.8 55mm instead of the f2.2, the cost difference will be negligible but the lens is better.

Last edited by ludoo on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought an Olympus OM-2 and it's my 1st Film SLR. I only got it yesterday so have no idea what it's like but i have had loads of people say what a great camera it is. I have 3 Olympus Zuiko lenses for my Panasonic GF1 so these will fit the SLR also! The lenses are superb and there's plenty about.

Last edited by andyw on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already have M42 and are planning to buy more, I too would recommend a solid M42 camera. Hard to go wrong with a classic Spotmatic, but the Fujicas are rugged cameras also and have quite a loyal following -- especially amongst the group here. Either of these makes would be at the top of my list, and would be a much better way to go, IMO, than a Zenit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 35mm SLR? Reply with quote

DiegoV wrote:

I thought about the Zenit 122, because it's cheap and simple... but there's also the Nikon F's, Canon AE-1, Praktica MTL, Yashicas...and so on. Any suggestion? Smile

Here's my limited experience:

The Praktica MTL is clunky. If you like that, that's fine. Be aware, the metal looking bottom and top parts are actually plastic underneath.
The Zenit viewfinder isn't great. They look and feel pretty indestructable though.
My dad had a Canon AE-1, and I have fond memories of that camera. FD lenses are easy to find.
Currently I use a Pentax Spotmatic SPII, and it works great. Feels good, lightmeter is working fine (at least on mine!), and is much more refined than the Zenit or Praktica.

Btw, about Prakticas, you can get those basically for free.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot all of you guys Very Happy. Half an hour ago I was completely lost and now I have lots of info. You gotta love this forum Smile
I see the Spotmatic has a lot of followers and so do the Fujicas. I'll be looking for them on eBay.
My only experience with Prakticas is with the BMS, and I kinda like it. The feeling is not that great, though. The Spotmatic really seems nice. Does anyone know the average price of one of those?

Thanks again Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world of cheap goodness is open to you.......if you want to use M42 lenses then I would either choose a MTL3 for £5-£10 or AE1 or T70 with a FD/M42 adapter...about £20 for a canon camera and about £5 for the adaptor. Once you have a Canon camera then all the Canon FD lenses are available plus the M42 lenses.
I'd avoid Nikon just because everything is more expensive and Olympus too as they have nothing in between their cheap crappy OM10 and OM20 and their more expensive OM1, OM2 etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about the MTL3 is its price... Is it a lot different from the BMS?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in M42 - the Spotties, and the Fuji ST range as recommended above are superb. Another one I'd put on the list is the Yashica TL Electro / Electro-X series, these are larger than the other cameras but comfortable to use.

In any of these, be careful about the meter operability. Except for the Pentax, these aren't worth repairing or even repairable any longer.

Usually with a good sample you only have to replace the seals, otherwise these cameras (all 3 makes) are built like tanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiegoV wrote:
The great thing about the MTL3 is its price... Is it a lot different from the BMS?

Yes, it is much more basic, with only fully manual operation, and stop-down metering.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nesster.
I'm leaning into the Spotmatic, but it depends on the prices also. I don't want to spend a lot of money so I'll be watching the market. If I can't find a cheap spotmatic, I'll be considering the Fujicas or the MTL3.

Again, thanks a lot to all of you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
DiegoV wrote:

Yes, it is much more basic, with only fully manual operation, and stop-down metering.

The BMS has only manual operation also Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Fujica ST (exact model probably doesn't matter), and try to get a 50mm f/1.4 or 55mm f/1.8 Fujinon with it. These often go cheaply on eBay, especially when the seller does not mention the lens in the auction's title (and even cheaper when it's not mentioned at all, just visible in the picture).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Get a Fujica ST (exact model probably doesn't matter), and try to get a 50mm f/1.4 or 55mm f/1.8 Fujinon with it. These often go cheaply on eBay, especially when the seller does not mention the lens in the auction's title (and even cheaper when it's not mentioned at all, just visible in the picture).

Thanks, Arkku. I'll be looking for that too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Yashicas. The FX-3 is a litle peach of a camera, quite basic, light, durable, and the meter is reliable. The Yashica ML series of lenses is still under-rated, and capable of standing up to any other optics out there. It also accepts the Zeiss lenses for Contax SLRs, and you'll be sore pressed to exceed the performance of these at any price. The camera and ML lenses go on eBay for very little, yet boy do they punch above their weight.

I'm not convinced about the advice to ignore Nikon. The Nikon FG is lovely, and even its sister the aperture-priority auto-only EM is a little gem. The Series E lenses to match are not expensive, and the Series E 100mm is a sterling little portrait lens, much sought after. The Series E 70-150 and 70-210 zooms are also very good, and not expensive, and you can still pick up the big brother Nikkors as the opportunity allows. My favourite entry-level SLR is still the FX-3 and its lenses, but I think it would be a shame to overlook this modestly priced yet very capable Nikon line.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, alex. I've always heard good things about the Yashica ML lenses, but I don't own a C/Y -> EOS adapter, so I never bought any. Maybe, if I get a FX-3 I'll have a reason to get a C/Y -> EOS adapter, so I'll be able to use the lenses both in the FX-3 and in my 350D.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on using M42 lenses I would avoid the Nikons. I own a small collection of Nikons and I love them all but you need and adaptor with a glass element to get infinty with M42 lenses. For this reason and this reason only would I suggest a Fujica ST705W or ST801. The 705W has a motor winder for it which can be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions Smile
It's gonna be one of those fujicas or the spotmatic, I guess.

The choice for m42 lenses is only because I already have one (and another one coming). If I ever buy a nikon I'd better start thinking about getting nikkor lenses, right? Cool