Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

bessar r/industar 50 50/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: bessar r/industar 50 50/3.5 Reply with quote

bessa r, f16sunshine's industar 50, walgreens house brand 200 asa color film, walgreens processing, scanning:

some lessons learned:
1) flare is not the industar 50's friend; see the scooter's tote shelf and the visitors parking sign lying on the ground where the sun was reflected.
2) lens may need a tad of shimming. IIRC, i focused on one line or other in some of the closer subjects, and the next item slightly to the rear seems sharper.
3) great variety in light values is not the friend of the walgreens house brand asa 200 film. see the white bucket, the visitors parking sign and the sky, for example.
4) i am having a little trouble framing/aligning properly with the viewfinder bright lines in some photos; must pay closer attention.
5) i am deliriously happy with the bessa. i'll post some b&w later this week shot with the jupiter 8, and compare images to some images shot with the indy 50 on the same roll.
6) your candid comments are most welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - ! And Walgreen's scanning is better than I get locally.

I find with my Bessa I need to keep my eye central in the viewfinder eyepiece. I wear glasses, which sometimes makes things a little awkward, and if I look into the v/f at an angle then the RF image shifts just a tiny bit to one side. At close range and wide apertures, than can lead to mis-focusing. Not sure if it's just my camera that's like that or if they all do it. easy to check for yourself though.

Cheap film can be quite good, but why not treat yourself to a roll of Fuji ISO 100 and look for a processor who might be a bit more careful than Walgreens. Or even get a roll of slide film!

Keep on enjoying the Bessa.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I strange in liking this color?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are not, I like the colors a lot too..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the color is very good, especially for $2 per roll of 24. i have heard it is made either by konica or fuji. the little industar 50 50mm/3.5 is pretty sharp, too, but it does not like the sun; lots of flare, which may be amplified by the very worn coating on the front element ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc, i shoot a bit of fuji superia 200 and 400. walgreens is my only source for processing other than two other drugstore chains. perhaps i should try cvs and rite-aid. i mostly shoot kodak bw400cn ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising results in color considering the lens. This lowish contrast should be great for BW. Try making a hood out of a black Kodak film canister.
I agree with using good film to asses a lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i can get a black one, i'll try it, andy.