Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scored a clean Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Scored a clean Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC Reply with quote

Seems like recently the Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC lens has been selling for a premium on eBay, and I'm just too tight to pay what folks are asking there. So, I took a look over at Goodwill's auction site, and turns out, I found a couple of outfits there that had 50/1.4 SSC lenses. So I settled down to wait and when the first outfit came up I bid on it and won. For $79, which included shipping charges, I got a Canon AV-1, a 50/1.4 SSC, a New FD 35-70 f/4, a Tokina 80-200 f/4, a Vivitar 255 flash, and a Pentax rear lens cap. Shocked Oh, and a case that looks like it's right out of the 1960s.

This outfit was a pleasant surprise. Everything is extremely clean, almost mint. A solid Exc+.

So I was able to pick up this entire outfit for just about what the minimum price for a 50/1.4 SSC is going for on eBay right now. And I really don't have any use for any of the other items that I won, so they'll be going on eBay. With just a bit of good fortune, I'll end up getting that 50/1.4 for free. And that's the kind of price I like Cool

I tried some exposures with the 50 on my EOS XS, using my FD-EOS adapter. Shooting wide open, with the correcting lens in place, there's a fair amount of flare and loss of contrast. I didn't do any post processing to the images except for some noise reduction on the crop.

EOS XS/1000D, 1/100 second @ f/1.4, ISO 400

100%

So I removed the correcting lens from the adapter, and shot a few that way, essentially turning the lens into a macro.

My grungy TV remote -- focused on the green "B".

I'm looking forward to trying it out with my Canon film cameras and some fine-grained slide film. I'll report back once I've had a chance to burn through a roll or two.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did very well! And I did quite well recently, too. A couple years ago I bought a batch of FD lenses for an average of US$9 each. I've sold those in the past few weeks. An FD 50/1.4 sold for US$66 and an FD 50/1.4 SSC sold for US$68.50 plus shipping on each. I think the guy who got the FD 200/4 macro for US$25 was especially happy, eh? As usual, I started my auctions at one buck, and demand just drove the prices to wherever.

Yes, free is good. I aim for that -- get a batch-lot just to have one item, then sell the rest to make back the expenditure. This make LBA self-sustaining!! As long as I can sell something, I can buy something else. Just don't break the chain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a score! Make sure your nail polish matches that stylish case. lol

These Canon outfits have been going super cheap lately, or so it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bargain...are they bullets on your shelf Shocked Load the camera with those and take a shot... Laughing Embarassed Razz You guys are so lucky having multiple buying avenues other than just ebay.
Is the case Vinyl?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like Federal brand frangible pistol loads to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal you got for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eyes, guys, on the ammo. Yeah, Greg, they're Federal Hydra Shock JHPs, 380 Auto. I have an old Browning 380 Automatic I keep around for personal protection, and have it stored just under that shelf. Just so's nobody freaks out, there are no children in this house (otherwise it would be in my safe), and I've trained both my wife and my daughter on proper firearms use and firearms safety. And they're both durn good shots. Shocked Cool

So anyway, I got a chance to play around with the 50/1.4 SSC some more today. Man, that is a really sweet lens. Even when using the FD-EOS adapter with the correction element in place, it still manages to produce some very nice photos.

Since I have a Nikon-EOS adapter, now what I want to do is compare the 50/1.4 SSC with my AIs Nikkor 50/1.4. I'll have to give this some thought, though. I should probably do just macro stuff. I have a set of Nikon mount extension tubes, so I can set it up to be equivalent to the FD 50mm . . . yeah, I'm gonna give that a shot.

I'd like to post some pics but for whatever reason mflenses is being very slow with my today. All other places I visit are normal, but I keep getting time-outs here. So I'll wait til things are back to normal before I try posting any pics again.